Home-made sand shovel for the beach.

SkySgt

Jan 19, 2014
Cibolo, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX (PI) and Garrett Ace 350 (VLF) detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just finished making a sand shovel for use at the beach. This one is similar to the ones shown on YouTube (see video below).

I used a 42" Poly Pro Tools One-Piece Shovel ($28+), like this one found on Amazon:

Poly Pro Tools 42" One-Piece Shovel

The most tedious part was the drilling of the holes. I wanted it to at least look semi-professional (okay, call me anal). The only power tools I used were a handheld jigsaw and a drill with a 9/32" drill bit.

Uniform spacing of the holes was achieved by using a polka-dot pattern found via a word search on Bing:

Black Polka-Dots

This pattern was copied into a Word document and printed onto a very large 8.5" x 11" sheet of peel-n-stick label. The label sheets can be found on the Avery website ($14+):

Avery White Shipping Labels #5265

The label was trimmed to fit on the blade around both sides of the handle shaft. Once trimmed, it was peeled and affixed to the blade. With the sticky side holding the label in place, the holes were drilled right through the label.

The square blade of the shovel was cut to form a point, by marking the center point across the front of the blade, and then marking two points on the blade's sides, 3" down from the front of the blade. Then, drawing a line from the center mark to each of the marks on the side of the blade (3" was the most aggressive I wanted the point to be, but you can make the point as deep or shallow as you want .... Too deep of a point may lead to flexure in the point while digging, and may cause it to snap).

Enjoy!

Sand Shovel.jpg

Last edited:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks good, Sarge! :thumbsup: Funny thing, is I was just watching that Fred Barnes video yesterday, and I've been dreaming up my own beach shovel EXACTLY like yours. The only think I would do is not so many holes for more strength. Up here, we got beaches, but its definitely not sugar sand!

OP
OP
SkySgt

SkySgt

Jan 19, 2014
Cibolo, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX (PI) and Garrett Ace 350 (VLF) detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Hig!

No worries about the number of holes, Pard! So long as it is used in much the same way as the fellow in the video.

The plastic blade is just a smidge over 1/4" thick, and the holes are small enough and far enough apart that rigidity and durability are not compromised. I predict that it will handle even tightly packed wet sand without any problems. However, if you were on a beach, in sub-freezing temps, and trying to pry a big rock out of a 3 foot deep hole with it, then all bets are off!

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A real pro looking job!
I have the same but it's a steel shovel, going to do a new one in poly now, how has it lasted so far? That blade looks awful big looks at least 6" wider and 6" deeper than a standard shovel blade.
The holes in my shovel only drained the water all the sand usually just stuck together.
With a poly shovel I can use a pinpointer once it's in the shovel.:2barsgold:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread