Makro Pinpointer experience

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had mine for almost two weeks and I have used it on about 7 hunts. So far it seems like it is a very good pinpointer. Two of the biggest issues that I have had with pinpointers is being waterproof, vibrate enough for me to feel through my gloves and being sensitive through the probe length. I had the TRX and liked it, but it didn't provide the three things stated above.

So far I have pinpointed through water past the handle and it is worked fine. I also will adjust the sensitivity up like the TRX when I have a very iffy signal, and then I will ratchet it down as I get closer to the target. This is a very good feature that is missed with a lot of the other pinpointers. The only minor complaints that I have, is that it is kind of thick and so on very tight holes, it makes it difficult to determine if the probe is homing in from the top of the hole or bottom or sides. It also takes about 2-3 seconds for it to turn on and a few seconds to hold the button down to shut off. Otherwise, this pinpointer is truly my favorite one so far out of the 5 that I have had (TRX, Propointer, Profind Vibra probe). They provide a lot of unnecessary "goodies" to the package like the case which probably jacks the price up. Still, feature and quality wise they could ask for much more. Sorry to say this, but if I had $130 to spend, I would buy this over the Propointer. (Perhaps this is why they are running the $110 special to become more competitive with the new ones coming out.)

scrappy84

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2014
I've had mine for almost two weeks and I have used it on about 7 hunts. So far it seems like it is a very good pinpointer. Two of the biggest issues that I have had with pinpointers is being waterproof, vibrate enough for me to feel through my gloves and being sensitive through the probe length. I had the TRX and liked it, but it didn't provide the three things stated above.

So far I have pinpointed through water past the handle and it is worked fine. I also will adjust the sensitivity up like the TRX when I have a very iffy signal, and then I will ratchet it down as I get closer to the target. This is a very good feature that is missed with a lot of the other pinpointers. The only minor complaints that I have, is that it is kind of thick and so on very tight holes, it makes it difficult to determine if the probe is homing in from the top of the hole or bottom or sides. It also takes about 2-3 seconds for it to turn on and a few seconds to hold the button down to shut off. Otherwise, this pinpointer is truly my favorite one so far out of the 5 that I have had (TRX, Propointer, Profind Vibra probe). They provide a lot of unnecessary "goodies" to the package like the case which probably jacks the price up. Still, feature and quality wise they could ask for much more. Sorry to say this, but if I had $130 to spend, I would buy this over the Propointer. (Perhaps this is why they are running the $110 special to become more competitive with the new ones coming out.)

Yeah I'm getting one soon. Good to hear you like it

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the review and your honest opinion. Just with the pinpointer being waterproof takes it leaps and bounds over others that cannot go into the water.

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just with the pinpointer being waterproof takes it leaps and bounds over others that cannot go into the water.[/QUOTE said:
FYI - only good to 3 foot, so I am told by the dealer.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Makro fell out of my pouch. I hope it is under the truck seat. I have been using the Propointer the last 3-4 hunts. I definitely prefer the Makro over the Propointer. That is a saying a lot because I have liked the Propointer over the other 4 brands/types that I have used.

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The new Garrett AT Pro Pointer comes out soon and is submergible to 10 feet and has several tones, etc. GARRETT seems to have done a great job with this one and priced @$150. Nothing official though yet.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After reading “Pointman’s” review, a new Makro will be in my future. Also, I am eagerly awaiting the new Garrett pin pointer. I think Garrett produces quality products that they stand behind.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another advantage that I have been really using lately, because I have been targeting deep coins, is the ability to adjust the sensitivity. It isn't as deep as the TRX, but it is close.

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010

What maximum distance does the Macro airtest on a clad dime and penny.

Last edited:

Dgoldman

Feb 24, 2014
So calif
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Makro pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mainly crevise and snipe bedrock for nuggets. Its a huge advantage for me being waterproof. Yes the instructions say it's waterproof to one meter. At one meter deep I can hunt all day. About six months ago my friend and I found four 100 year old Standing Liberty quarters where I was prospecting in the river. First two found by accident in the sluice. Three weeks later went back with my metal detector and found two more. All four quarters were found 10 feet apart in a straight line. Now with my Makro, I'm going back soon to find the rest using it in the water where the coins were found. Love it so far.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Makro pinpointer is awesome - its become my go-to pinpointer! It even works well in the super hot soils of Virginia. :)

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I air tested the Makro with a new battery and the cover over the end.

I got .800 on the lowest setting for the dime and 1 1/2 inches for the dime on the highest setting. For a copper penny it was virtually the same readings.

Clad quarter I am getting 1 3/4 inches on the highest setting.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread