Tesoro Tiger Shark and a pinpointer? Need tips!

underwater

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to get into metal detecting. I also enjoy scuba diving, so I would love to combine both.
I need a decent all round detector so that I can try out metal detecting before I go and buy a Minelab Excalibur II :tongue3:

I will detect on land, freshwater and saltwater. And because I'm new to this I don't know which will be my main area in the future.

After googeling and reading online I'm leaning towards a Tesoro Tiger Shark (10.5" coil). Any comments on that? Reasons I should think about another one?
It's a good price range and seem to work fine in my 3 areas.

I would also like to buy a good (not too pricey) pinpointer. Here I have no idea what to pick though, any recommendations?

Appreciate any feedback I can get!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wilcome.PNG As good as the TIGER SHARK is, it was not my go to saltwater detector. Sure it has a salt mode but that only worked at some locations and not others. The 10" coil is not the best for dry land like parks but is good for dry sand. It excels in freshwater however in either Fast or Slow mode. To do salt water diving a multi frequency unit like a Excal or CZ-20/21 is preferred. The CZ is built like a tank and I never had to sent it in for repairs nor the Tiger Shark. Salt water users also like Pulse units like the Sand Shark for extreme depth but lack good disc. Flies and Baits 044.jpg Flies and Baits 065.gif

OP
OP
U

underwater

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the welcoming and for the reply! :)

That's my conclusion as well, that the Tiger Shark isn't the optimal choice for saltwater. However I live in Sweden so we have lots of fresh water, but also saltwater along the cost line.

It all depends on what type of detecting I will be doing in the future and I truly don't know. I think it's easiest to get permit for beaches in Sweden and most beaches are freshwater. My guts tell me I won't do saltwater as much as freshwater and above water.

Would you go with the 8" coil if most above water detecting is solid ground rather than a sand beach? And 10.5" if most detecting is on the beach?

Being a gadget geek, if I get hooked on detecting I will buy at least one other detector that probably will be more specific rather than all round.

Do you have any pinpointer recommendations?

Edit: Since I would like to at least try out different locations, above ground as well. Would you say the Tiger Shark is at least decent at, let's say farm land or grass field? I've read that the underwater units tend to be a bit heavier than land ones, but that doesn't concern me for testing purposes.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tiger Shark doesn't have zero motion pinpoint so it isn't as good for turf. I use a bayonet as a probe in grass as it wedges in pull tabs and rings to pop them out, but use an electronic pinpointer too. I don't use the Tiger for land hunting but the Sov GT, and CZ-6a, the land version of the CZ-20/21. Weight is solved with a neck harness with all detectors and the only time I won't use one is diving. I have no recommendations on pinpointers.

As for water hunting your going to need a stainless steel scoop and I highly recommend the Sunspot Stealth 720i. http://www.stealthscoop.com/classic.html
720i Stealth.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

underwater

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That scoop is a bit pricey for me right now, might consider it when I get hooked on metal detecting :)

Do you (or anyone else) have any input on the Tiger Shark vs Garrett AT Pro? Just got recommended that one.
The only big minus is it's only 3m (10 feet) water proof. =/

OP
OP
U

underwater

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my research just tells me "Blow the budget, buy a Minelab Excalibur II" :)
Is the excal II decent on land?

Still haven't decided if I want to spend that extra cash, since I lose interest in hobbies pretty fast in the past.
I always tend to spend the extra cash though :P

I mean your signature says it all.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That scoop is a bit pricey for me right now, might consider it when I get hooked on metal detecting :)

Do you (or anyone else) have any input on the Tiger Shark vs Garrett AT Pro? Just got recommended that one.
The only big minus is it's only 3m (10 feet) water proof. =/

I consider the ATP as a pos for saltwater beaches but ok in freshwater. It beeps even there when there is no black sand. The Tiger Shark is way better. The EXCAL II is good at both an doesn't have to be ground balanced.

OP
OP
U

underwater

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, so the ATP is off the list again. Tiger Shark still in nr 1 spot.

Which detector would you consider the best land detector in the Tiger Shark price range?
I'm thinking I might start off with land and move down in the water after.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want a straight land and dry sand detector you can't beat a Tesoro Vaquero at $450.00

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread