Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have not tried that tool but I have a WEN 10" buffer/waxer. It has performed well. They've been around for some time as a company.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've not tried it.

I know this is probably too rich for you right now, but I bought a rechargeable 12 volt, refurbished Dremel on the CPO outlet sight. I think it was around $65 while it is normally $99. It is portable and holds a charge well. Kind of feels like the difference between using wired and wireless headphones.

drln8220-1-28.jpg

Stay away from the Harbor Freight brand rotary tool. I bought the cordless one I think for $29 and the speed selector went out on it 2 days after I got it. So it would only run extremely fast and dangerous.

image_25343.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input guys. Like anything from a new (to me) manufacturer, I'll just have to wait and see. Most customer reviews were good, and then you have the 10% who hated it and end up calling it a "cheap piece if Chinese junk". I have a monocular and a short wave radio from China and they have held up great and do what I expect. But I have had some stuff that was inferior as well.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
The rechargeable Dremel is slightly less than worthless. Runs down too fast.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use Dremels, but I am developing a strange affection for Harbor Freight tools. They are cheap. These tools - on the whole - seem to meet my quality standards, given the workout that I put them through. I've had an HF abrasive chop saw for 25 years and its outlasted a lot of other tools I have had that were made by Milwaukee and Porter Cable. I think I paid $39 for it. I still use it a few times a week! I also have an HF 4x6 bandsaw that is about 30 years old and it still runs very well and still cuts a straight line.

Bottom Line: The Wen is Chinese. The HF is Chinese. HF will replace defective stuff no questions asked. Will the vendor for your Wen do the same?

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
I just looked on WEN's site, if you can get the tool for $27.00, that's less then Wen sells their reconditioned one for.
Reconditioned Rotary Tool Kit with Flex Shaft-Item: R2305

If you are a little electronics handy, and you don't need the tool for hard use, hit up the local Goodwill stores and such for those cordless animal nail trimmers.

I have a similar Dremel like the Wen you are looking at, and a pair of those doggie trimmers. They both have similar chucks to what the Dremel uses so all the bits fit. After the batteries died in them I removed them and installed a plug to use one of my lithium packs (I fly electric R/C airplanes) to power em up.
You could easily buy or build a new rechargeable pack for them.

They work great for sanding, buffing, even light cutting.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Usually the dremels stop because the two brushes wear out. They are easily replaceable but
hard to find, Lowe's sells them online but not in stores. Of course they would rather you buy
a new unit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread