Have BH Tracker IV detector. Might get Garrett AT Pro Pointer. Advice Needed

dapperandy

Jul 3, 2011
La Crosse, WI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been interested in detecting for a number of years so I decided to start small as I don't have much time with two young sons at home. I purchased the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV from Hobby Lobby for $66 a couple years ago. I had some good luck with it, have not hunted any good sites, mainly schools and parks but found a 10K gold ring. I am eventually going to upgrade detectors but don't know how much time I will get to hunt this year.

I am thinking about making my next purchase the Garrett AT Pro Pointer. Does everyone else think this is a good idea? And if so, where is the best place to buy it? And are they still a pre-order item?

Also, do people carry their digger in a belt holster and what is the best holster to get?

Last edited:

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Practice practice practice, Learn the difference in good /bad signals. Dig everything at first so you can learn what sounds like what. Repeatability in a signal from all sides is a good thing. Learn to pinpoint with whatever detector you have. Save the money that you would spend on a pinpointer and put it toward an upgrade detector. But kill lots of batteries before you do. Persistence is key. Just sayin'...
And good luck!

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
Practice practice practice, Learn the difference in good /bad signals. Dig everything at first so you can learn what sounds like what. Repeatability in a signal from all sides is a good thing. Learn to pinpoint with whatever detector you have. Save the money that you would spend on a pinpointer and put it toward an upgrade detector. But kill lots of batteries before you do. Persistence is key. Just sayin'...
And good luck!

Yep it the old 100/100/100 rule (for any detector.)
First you dig 100 bad targets with a few good finds mixed in.
Next you put in - about 100 hours searching.
Finally, when you can recognize 100 good targets before digging, you have mastered that detector and all will bow before you.

La Beep

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread