• 1437759845061.jpg
    1437759845061.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 321

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best thing for snakes is to go around them, and leave them alone. No reason to kill rattlers unless you find them too close to camp, or a danger to your kids or pets.
Jim

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should have gotten the .45 Colt/.410 shotgun Bond Derringer.

Actually, the best protection from snakes is a pair of snake gaiters. Bass Pro Shops has a good pair for $39:

SNAKE GAITERS

If you do a lot of horse or ATV riding through heavy brush, you need Snake Chaps:

SNAKE CHAPS

Of all the rattlesnakes I have come across over the years, I have only had to kill a couple. If its early morning (and still cold), you can pick'em up by the tail and toss them aside. Once they warm up, don't try to pick them up. If you use a walking stick, all you have to do is slip the end of your walking stick under the snake and flip it out of the way.

Mike

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been two timber rattlers killed at my honey hole this summer both by land owner, with in site of his house where his young daughter and dog play. I don't hunt snakes, but better to be prepared than sorry. I do own pair of snake gatters. Had a friend bit in foot this year by copper head. He never seen him until he was bit. I'm all for live and let live..... To an extent.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All bets are off when it comes to rattlers around kids or pets. I was specifically talking about snakes found while away from home.

Most rattlers can't kill a healthy grown person. A lot of places I go have the Mojave Green Rattler. Except for the Mojave Green, all rattlesnakes have Hemotoxinous Venom, meaning that the poison destroys every red blood cell it comes in contact with. The Mojave Green has both Hemotoxinous and Neurotoxinous Venom. Kids, pets, and people in poor health may be killed with one good bite. While the hemotoxinous venom destroys the blood cells, the neurotoxinous venom depresses the CNS (Central Nervous System), and you die from asphyxiation because the muscles that cause your lungs to draw in and expel air are deadened.

Mike

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Snake guards and snake boots are a must for me. Those Mohave Greens are most places I Hunt.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think there's anything any quicker than pushing them along with the detector's coil. When I'm not detecting I usually have a walking stick or the tip of a recurve bow.

If I have time to draw a pistol I have had time to step away.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck hitting a snake with that thing!! Like others say just walking away is a better idea than attempting to shoot them, they will not chase you. The chances of killing one with even two shots from that derringer are slim, and it would be cruel to just injure one with only one or a couple of the tiny pellets actually hitting one. Here in N.Y. state and some other states it is a felony to kill timber rattlers. I come across many of them hiking in deep woods and have never had to defend myself from one, I just go around them, or if I wish I move them out of the way by scaring them off with a stick shaking it in the leaves or grass near them.

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You people have misunderstood me. If you read my earlier post you should understand why I'm carrying this. This is a 357 with snake shot. It is a close range weapon and will kill a snake that is close to you. As stated, I am not snake hunting and never bother them if I can avoid them. If you were this land owner and had them that close to your daughter and pets, I dought you would chase them off with a stick. Just saying. To each his own I guess.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not misunderstood you, I understand one's wishing to defend one's self against poisonous critters, although I have never had such a problem. But if you really think you are going to do so with that little derringer and .357 "snake shot" I think you will be disappointed and possibly endanger yourself. To actually be deadly to a snake with that little barrel and tiny shot you would need to have your pistol hand well within striking distance of the snake. Try it out, paint a 1" diameter rope so you can see the pellet hits and then take your two shots at it's "head" at say 6-8' and see how many tiny pellets have actually hit it. There will be likely not enough to kill the snake. Like Gollum says, the pistols that carry the .410 shotgun shells are the best minimum caliber or bore size for snake defense, and they are best with a smooth bore. If your derringer is rifled like most are it will just make your mini shot spiral outward and away from your target.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one for you...

5538cf69ff4799a0f7764052c35ec02b.jpg

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one for you...

5538cf69ff4799a0f7764052c35ec02b.jpg

That is a beautiful Diamondback. Its not THAT big though. Optical Illusion. That snake is hanging on the end of about a six foot long stick, making it much closer to the camera than it appears.

Mike

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he is bigger than you think, I count 19 rattles...look how close snake is to toe of his right foot.. Either way it is one big deadly rattlesnake..

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not close to his foot. That's why I say Optical Illusion. Here is a more extreme example:

980x.jpg

All it would take is for him to turn a little to his right. If you couldn't see how long the stick was, it would be about impossible to see that snake is maybe 5-6 feet. A big snake all the same, but not 10-12 feet like it looks in the picture.

Mike

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean, same method is used to take pictures of fish caught... I was going more off the number of rattles.

I think the proven world record for eastern diamond back is couple inches over 8 ft....

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean, same method is used to take pictures of fish caught... I was going more off the number of rattles.

I think the proven world record for eastern diamond back is couple inches over 8 ft....

In the late 1980s (when I was stationed there), I was told that another six inches, and it would be a record snake. Some natural museum was going to buy him from me, but the poor baby died after downing a pretty white bunny, and I didn't realize that with the AC in the house blasting, he couldn't digest it as fast as he should have, and the bunny got its revenge from the inside (and I was out about $1000)!

I had named him Bruce after Bruce Lee, after one time when going to feed him, he struck at me faster than I had ever seen a snake strike. HAHAHA He was mean too. He would strike any time that damn aquarium was opened. On the opposite side, at the same time, I had a Copperhead named Mathilda (no real reason). She got to be about 4 feet and never once tried to bite me. She ate nice caught frogs. I let her go deep in the woods when I moved.

Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took your advice gunsil. Made a target out of a peace of white aluminum trim coil. Drew a 1inch wide snake. ( I'm no artist ) Took one shot from 10 ft, I count 12 pellets in the snake and one spot at base of neck were multiple pellets punch a large hole. That would have been a dead snake. 1438367091935.jpg

Attachments

• 1438367105144.jpg
    1438367105144.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 185

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
10 ft is far enough away the snake wouldn't have bothered you.

And when you step on one you won't have the time or opportunity to bring it to bear.

Load it with jacketed bullets for real problems - like humans. ;-)

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took your advice gunsil. Made a target out of a peace of white aluminum trim coil. Drew a 1inch wide snake. ( I'm no artist ) Took one shot from 10 ft, I count 12 pellets in the snake and one spot at base of neck were multiple pellets punch a large hole. That would have been a dead snake. View attachment 1193821

Good work!! Those critters are hard to kill though, the multiple pellet shot may have done the job, but I doubt if the others would have stopped it. Is that derringer a smooth bore? I'm surprised you got such a close pattern at 10ft.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread