PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So that is my question...
Ive been debating this for some time now, and i want to do it so i dont sweat as much as i do with the big head set... It isnt exactly a cheap upgrade at all since i would need adapters and i dont want an ear bud that might not tell me all of the sounds... Or maybe i would miss a tone... So a good set isnt exactly cheap.
Those of you that maybe use these, can you tell me what you think of it? What type of bud do you use? Do you fear missing some of those deeper lighter tones??

Oh, i found 5 indians and a mercury yesterday... Just to keep this post not so boring...
Thanks for any replies! GL and HH ALL!!!🎉🎧💰

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will use nothing but in-ears. Quality Ear phones no matter what type will be fine. You will most likely need and in-line volume control with anything other than MD headphones the have a vol control built in.

OP
OP
PaDirtDigger

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, thanks for the reply. What detector are you using them with?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own whites and I use them with all. I can not wear cans, they hurt with glasses on.
I have 2 setups, wireless and wired. In high emi I go wired with the volume control as the transmitter seem to make the EMI worse on my DFX.
Wireless the ear buds are plugged into a walkman and the transmitter has an input volume control.
This is the wireless set up on the coinmaster GT, since posting this I have stopped using the mic as it was a pain with the wire getting caught on things.
Wireless setup on GT

Last edited:
OP
OP
PaDirtDigger

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's interesting... Wireless. I think I might go with Panasonic ear buds, they have a nice looking ear hook and the bid looks like it will sit inside if my ear, hopefully blocking out most outside noise do I don't miss any deep high tone whispers...

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I'm going to vote nay for a couple of reasons. First even with really good earbuds nothing seems to bring the sound in the ear and knock out ambient noise as headphones. Truthfully though by far the biggest reason to use regular headphones is the head protection. I cant tell you the number of times the headphones have kept limbs, rocks, porches and other things from ringing my head. Only down side is it would be nice to wear a wide brim hat for sun protection

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I'm going to vote nay for a couple of reasons. First even with really good earbuds nothing seems to bring the sound in the ear and knock out ambient noise as headphones.
These do (35-42 db isolation, can't even hear my wife when she is in front of me!), and the next model up will blow your mind listening to music.
Etymotic Research | mc5 Earphones

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705 and CTX 3030. Garrett Pro Pointer and Garrett AT pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another Nay on the earbuds. I swear for me anyway earbuds bring in more outside noise. Can't do earbuds. If it is too hot ( which isn't often ) for earphones as much as I dislike it I just have to resort to the MD speaker.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an ATPro and have the adapter that allows me to use ear buds. I love the set up. I want to be able to hear what is going on around me, my partner, other people or critters that are around me. They are very comfortable and cool. I don't believe I'm missing any of the sounds. The ones I use have a inline volume control. Not sure what brand they are, they were given to me. Everyone is different so you may have to try it before you will know. Like I said, I love mine.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried earbuds for the first time last night with my new Go-Find 60. I did NOT like them one bit. No sir, not one bit.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious, how much did the units you tried cost? Assuming you borrowed a pair as most people would not drop $60+ for a good pair of phones to just try them.. and Yes, you get what you pay for most of the time.

OP
OP
PaDirtDigger

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good input by everyone. I'm currently using my AT Pro mostly. My fellow detecting buddy (Meltektin) uses a Whites XLT, so I figure it's best to have different detectors running through our places. Anyway, I tried using a sweat band, that worked for the most part, but eventually, the sweat starts to run on my glasses... Bleh...
Airscapes, that's exactly why I thought I would post my question. I don't want to go cheap, and think the idea is horrible, and I didn't want to go expensive, and then simply not like it!!! Heck, the adapter is like $35 alone...

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good input by everyone. I'm currently using my AT Pro mostly. My fellow detecting buddy (Meltektin) uses a Whites XLT, so I figure it's best to have different detectors running through our places. Anyway, I tried using a sweat band, that worked for the most part, but eventually, the sweat starts to run on my glasses... Bleh...
Airscapes, that's exactly why I thought I would post my question. I don't want to go cheap, and think the idea is horrible, and I didn't want to go expensive, and then simply not like it!!! Heck, the adapter is like $35 alone...

Lets face it, if you like quality sound when listing to music and you wear head phones of some type you like, same head phones work with a MD if you can control the volume and get them connected.. It is a personal thing. I don't like the kind the just sit in your ears as you can see by my post. I like the kind that are like Christmas tree ear plugs.. Other people don't like in-ears.. it is kind of your call .. like cars.. we all don't like the same model.. So my suggestion is to find a type of ear phone that is comfortable and sounds really with good with music and go with that. If you don't like them when MD you can use them for tunes!
DirtDigger, where are you in PA, I have an extra pair I could let you try out on one of my machines if you are near by. PM me if in the Philadelphia tristate area.. I am in Delco.

Last edited:

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I like using ear buds sometimes, for the reasons already mentioned. Mostly to avoid the heat, and secondly so I can wear a brimmed hat with a neck drape for sun protection. I bought a quality pair of Etymotic brand buds, same brand that Airscapes mentioned. I paid $68 for the ear buds and bought the adapter from Best Buy for $12. The ear bud jack plugs into the adapter with the large headphone jack. My adapter is even "L" shaped so it doesn't stick out too far. I hunt with Whites V3i and my older DFX. I don't notice a difference in loss of sound unless it is very windy or some other ambient noise is present (like traffic). The pair I have fits comfortably and don't fall out easily like some other brands.

OP
OP
PaDirtDigger

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air, I am up in the Poconos. That's a few hours up from you. I appreciate the thought. Do yours have the hooky-do thing on them? Maybe you can attach a picture?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air, I am up in the Poconos. That's a few hours up from you. I appreciate the thought. Do yours have the hooky-do thing on them? Maybe you can attach a picture?

Mine are like ear plugs. They do come with different ends but I like the 3 tiered Christmas tree style. I put one in completely so it is sealed and sound is crystal clear and the other kind of loose so I can hear my pinpointer and surroundings.
They also have the same type of head sets that have a mic so you can use them with a phone for more than listening to music. I own an old set (not made anymore) of 6i a set of Hf2 for conference calls and a back up set of Mc5s Here is a link Etymotic Research | Earphones

Last edited:

haxor

Aug 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to travel weekly and loved in-ear buds while flying. (space and weight are huge issue when traveling)

Disclaimer: MD noob.
I purchased 'better' cans then came with my Ace350 kit. My ears sweat up a storm wearing them in the hot NC summer here.
I've gone to wearing the cans around my neck, not on my ears. Keeps the 'bleeps & blips' from the public but very hear-able to me.

OP
OP
PaDirtDigger

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are pretty fancy Air! I definitely like the true ear plug idea with these... Very cool, thanks for the link

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread