Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am using a cheap Bounty Hunter pin Pointer. Its not water proof and it has a knob you have turn on every time you use it but it works!!!

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Get one of these three.

1. Garretts Propointer AT (Waterproof
2. Garretts Propointer II (New)
3. Deteknix X-Pointer

Expect to pay $90-$130 on a decent pinpointer. I don't think Santa even knows where hHarbor Freight is ;-)
The X-Pointer is the best bang for the buck. Bought right via a sponsor...the Garret AT pointer is king. Ratchet down feature is cool.

The money difference between all three is small in the total scheme of things IMO.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember the first time I used a Pro Pointer.
I was as happy as a kid on Xmas.
I couldn't believe how easy it made finding things over my old Fisher.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Vulcan 360 but I don't think I would recommend it. It takes too long to come on and sometimes it kinda runs away, keeps going off even tho you point it up in the air etc.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the whites TRX it has 5 adjustable sensitivity levels, but the light could be brighter and it's water proof too.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I really like the whites TRX it has 5 adjustable sensitivity levels, but the light could be brighter and it's water proof too.

My TRX only has 4 sensitivity settings, unless you count vibration-only as a level. Does yours really have 5 levels?

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Garrett Carrot (Pro Pointer AT - new waterproof version).
It was recommended in-person by the knowledgable folks over at KelleyCo Detectors.

I evaluated several makes & models prior to purchase, but liked the features in the Pro Pointer AT.
It does have a small learning curve, but easy enough to get the hang of after a while.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett Carrot:thumbsup:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My F-75 is pretty good at it and then I switch to the Sunray for the final probing if the initial flip doesn't reveal the target.

I got a "free" F-Point and I carry that as a backup and as a loaner with my Minelab. Good enough and waterproof.

MountainDewed

Oct 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm poor so after research I bought a Zircon Metalliscanner M40. I think it's a stud finder type deal but it works pretty well once you get used to using it. It measures the distance from the metal by lighting 4 lights, the more lights lit the closer the metal but it also starts to light up when it comes close to a root or very solid ground but just for a second and doesn't sound an alarm unless it's actually detecting metal. Strong metals it'll pick up 3 inches or so through dirt with alarm, 4 inches it'll start to light up. Coins usually an inch and a half to two inches before an alarm but not much more for the lights to light up but that's good enough for me. I never used a $120 pinpointer so I can't compare the two and hope when I do eventually buy one it's worth the extra money.

Someone made a youtube vid about it and shows it in action.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm still using the original Pro-Pointer.

Never gave me a single problem for 3+ years, it just recently started acting a bit wonky.

I see a phone call to Bart for a Pro-Pointer AT in my near future... and a can of krylon from the hardware store.

Orange only, really?

~Tejaas~

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My TRX only has 4 sensitivity settings, unless you count vibration-only as a level. Does yours really have 5 levels?

Your right it's 4,unless you count off! Still think it's great thou.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the Deteknix X-Pointer and love it. I also have a Vulcan 360 that I got with the purchase of my new F44 from Kellyco. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, though.

Bay Beagle

Apr 6, 2012
Central, Virginia
Detector(s) used
DEUS XP V5
MINELAB EXPLORER II
NAUTILUS DMC
WHITES COIN MASTER
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Garrett Pro Pointer - my favorite tool for relic hunting (except my shovel) ....... thinking about spray painting it "day glo orange or green" - if You can get one factory made in orange, I'd go for it!!!

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still using the old White's Bullseye with a modified 8" tip. It has been buzzzzin right along on targets for a number of years without any problems. I also made an attachment for a small flashlight. Works for me.

OP
OP
S

sqaush

Feb 25, 2015
arkansas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all the info ! gives me a good direction to look

Top Member Reactions