It might be time to upgrade... Help?

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have been using a really old Garret treasure ace 300, probably from the 1980's. I would like to move onto something more modern and better. I'm not looking to spend $1000 on a top of the line one, but probably more around $200. Just something nice and reliable, and easy to transport, but a step up from what I have.
Also, are pin pointers expensive and/or good tools to have?
If anyone could give me any tips, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpointer - cannot say yes enough!

So far as stepping up detector - the wiser on this board will soon reply, I'm sure - hh

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Pinpointer is a must. $110-125 right now. I would save some more if you want to upgrade with what you have now. HH

biloyp

Greenie
Dec 27, 2014
Telford, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter 505
Time to upgrade?

Yes definitely get a pin pointer. I bought a White TRX Bullseye pin pointer which is around $140. The sensitivity can be adjusted, works on one 9v or 2AA and you can replace the entire outer shell if required. Its pricey but it was a Christmas present. I have the Garrett AT Pro MD and it took me a little while to learn it but I would recommend it (another Christmas present). I think they are around $600. I bought it and a 2nd with the BOGO(Buy One Get One) deal at the time. The 2nd one I got was a Bounty Hunter 505 Pro which I hardly use, and they sell for around $350. If I knew now......., I doubt if I would get the Bounty Hunter for me because now I have used one with better technology and when I try and use the BH, I get frustrated because it is not as configurable (the settings) and then I have to "learn" the tones etc... If I hunted in the woods with no trash around it would be great ( I assume) but when I use it in trashy areas (parks, playgrounds etc) its frustrating to use. I have no experience with other MD's so I can't help there. Here is one I heard about in my club and read about, seems right up your alley...Minelab Go-Find 60 Metal Detectors- Kellyco. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks biloyp,
I would definitely love a Garrett AT pro, but I might start of with something less expensive.

On the other hand, I looked around and I also eyed the White's Coinmaster pro, and the Garrett Ace 250, and then the Go-Find 60 that biloyp suggested. Does anyone else have any opinion on these three? Any help would be appreciated.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being in Massachusetts, you have got arguably the best hunting grounds in America... why not "dig a little deeper" and step up to a machine that will not make you wonder if you missed any "banner worthy" targets....

You are already locked in to the hobby, why not swing like the pro's, and get a machine that is not available at Bass Pro Shops?

And by the way, your avatar scares the hell out me.

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the choice is yours but you would be money ahead if you was to to save up enough to get exactly what you want.
I have a bad habit of settling for the lesser and then ending up buying what I should have in the first place lol

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing I've seen in that dollar range will beat the Land Ranger Pro. I've seen it at $229 at Wally. There's plenty of good video's on youtube showing it's capabilities.

land-ranger-pro-faceplate.jpg

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with everyone else that a pinpointer is a must. As far as an upgrade, I cannot say enough about the Fisher F44 Weatherproof Metal Detectors- Kellyco at $350. I have been using it a lot lately and love it. It has all the features you need to not upgrade for a long time.

I have a Minelab GoFind 60 as well. I like it and it stays in my car, but I would never use it as my main machine. Here is a thread I started about it a few months ago: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/minelab/475685-ordered-go-find-60-a.html

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpointer is a must have (have you heard that before? :laughing7: ) AS for upgrading the detector, you need to re-evaluate your prices. Detector costs have gone up a lot since the 1980s. $200 will barely get your foot in the door with an entry level no better than what you are swinging now. If you have $200 to spend, get a pinpointer and then save up for an upgrade to the machine.

Jericho Joe

Dec 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got the Teknetics EurotekPro for 239. Comes with a Pinpointer, weather cover and a bag with belt to put your finds in. I love mine, check out the reviews on YouTube.

H-D 1

Dec 25, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer & Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tekneticks Delta 4000 is no slouch mine has more than payed for itself and the 9v battery last forever

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again everyone for the advice.
I looked around at all the sites, and decided on the Fisher f-4 from Kellyco. I also got a pinpointer with it. Wow! It is great. Totally a step up from my Garret. I took it out today and it did an excellent job at finding a square nail!
Even the pinpointer, I was wondering how good could it actually be? Well, you guys were absolutely right. It is a GREAT tool!
Thanks again, and Happy hunting and Happy holidays!:hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread