Used: XLT or Quattro MP ? - for GOLD

200Volts

Dec 3, 2015
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Used: XLT, GB2 or Quattro MP ? - for GOLD

I want to look for gold nuggets in Northern CA - Motherload area, mostly in dry creeks and tailings.
I am going to buy a used detector, I'm very familiar with electronics (my business) and have these 3 choices:
Minelab Quattro MP $400
Whites XLT $350
GoldBug2 $400

Both GB and XLT have good reviews, work deep, etc.. But the Quattro has a higher khz. I have no experience with either. Any suggestions or comments?
Thank you very much !!

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The higher kHz only means it is good for very small nuggets near the surface. Higher frequencies don't have the penetrating power. Lower frequencies are better for larger deeper nuggets.

A great example would be the original Minelab SD-2000. The first real PI Gold Machine. It was a game changer when it came out in (I think) 1995. I bought one of mine in the late 90's (still have it). Still works like a charm. Great for finding big nuggets deep in bad ground. It couldn't see small nuggets very well at all, but it was finding so many big nuggets in ground previously thought "hunted out", that nobody cared.

That said, here is what you should look at when making a decision:

How accessible is the area you want to hunt? Can you drive up to it? Do you have to hike several miles to get there?

*GB2 is good for small stuff near the surface.

*I had a Quattro, and didn't care for its prospecting abilities. Good general purpose detector though.

*White's XLT is not a good prospecting detector.

What I would recommend to you getting started is to look at the GB2, but also look at an XTerra 70 or 705 with Goldpac. The Xterra 70/705 is an excellent prospecting detector. What I really like about it is the frequency chips are built into the coils. They have different coils with different frequencies for different types of hunting. It only weighs 3 pounds. I used to carry one when I had to hike in. Light weight and easy to use. I sold it after I got my Scheibel MIMID (mine detector). I have my big heavy SD and batteries to drag in if I find a patch with my lightweight "exploration" detector.

Best of luck - Mike

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you would be better looking at a whites DFX they sell for $325 and are multi frequency and much better suited than the XLT, at last that is what I have read, I do not Prospect with my DFX.

OP
OP

200Volts

Dec 3, 2015
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to stay around $400 for a used machine. I know, it's a tuff price/performance point for gold.
I also see some Whites GMZ and Garrett AT Gold units used from time to time. The GMZ seems odd to me that it has no display features.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For around $400, you can get a nice used White's Goldmaster 4B, 3, or VSat. They are really great machines for prospecting. Have a lot of manual controls for correcting for bad ground. I actually have a GM4B (Goldmaster 4B). The older White's Gold Machines do have a higher learning curve, but they are excellent prospecting machines.

Oh, and one thing I did catch myself on, is that the DFX is the one that is not a good prospecting detector, while the XLT is better, but nothing I would prospect with. I would stay away from the AT's because I always hear about them having issues.

Here is a good article on different prospecting machines by a guy that knows better than most (Steve Herschbach):

PROSPECTING MACHINES

Mods,

That link is to a non-forum part of Steve's Website. It is strictly a review of different nugget detectors. No back and forth or feedback. Strictly informational.

Mike

OP
OP

200Volts

Dec 3, 2015
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks everyone. I found a Garrett AT Pro for $325, with 6 months of warranty left. So I scooped it up (no pun intended, well kind of intended).
It's not ideal for gold nuggets, but for a first machine, it sounded like a good deal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread