Metal Detector Advice

Jamers2004

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2016
Edmonds, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there! My name is Jamie and I am buying a new medal detector within the next month. I currently have a cheap Bounty hunter and I am looking in to purchasing something more suitable to my needs. I want to be able to go in to lakes and rivers, but also detect throughout the woods. I would like to be able to detect gold fairly well, but other metals too. My top price is about $1500.00. I have been researching for weeks but the bad reviews on some detectors are scaring me a bit as I don't want to waste that much money and find out they don't work!

I've been leaning towards Minelab Excalibur II, The Garret AT Gold, Minelab Safari etc. Anyone have any advice? If you already have one of these models can you tell me the pros and cons of yours? Are their others I am dismissing that are great detectors because of price or lack of info?

Thank you so much for any information you can provide. It is truly appreciated.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you should get the new Whites MX Sport. $750.00 - Waterproof to 10-feet - 10" coil. Tell us how it works out!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, they are on pre-order now foe February delivery. Brand New.

I have several detectors for different uses - i.e. gold prospecting; park coin and jewelry hunting; deep woods and farm field; Freshwater; Saltwater.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Same here. I have different detectors for different circumstances. I think most land detectors in the $1500 price range would do great in most areas. It's the water where things start getting tricky. Saltwater gets even trickier. I personally have a Fisher CZ20 for saltwater and have used it for freshwater and land as well. But, it is very heavy. So, I have to either deal with the weight and tired arms, or I have to hipmount it which causes me to be attached to my detector when I try to dig. Just my 2 cents.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A used CTX with warranty can be had for that price range. A new Etrac for quite less than your budget. If you are wanting to find gold as in prospecting the Gold Bug Pro, Xterra 705, F-19 or G2+ would be good all around choices.

OP
OP
J

Jamers2004

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2016
Edmonds, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A used CTX with warranty can be had for that price range. A new Etrac for quite less than your budget. If you are wanting to find gold as in prospecting the Gold Bug Pro, Xterra 705, F-19 or G2+ would be good all around choices.

Any suggestions on where I can look to check out a used CTX with warranty?

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I work beaches with the Minelab Excalibur II and praise it highly FOR THE BEACH. I would not recommend it for woods or trashy areas. Suggest the AT Pro at around $600 you can't go wrong for a single VLF machine. You can change coils for the conditions (smaller coil for more trashy areas) and it provides multiple types of target identification.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any suggestions on where I can look to check out a used CTX with warranty?

Check out the supporting vendors and do a google search for others. One vendor I cannot mention (not a supporting vendor) sold one without warranty for under $1,400. You can sometimes find a used one with warranty around your price range from individuals. I sold one almost 2 years ago for actually $1,700 or less (they traded and added cash) with the 6" coil and it had almost 2 years of warranty left. I knew it was a great deal for someone.

Channon

Feb 8, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an AT Pro that I use in salt/fresh water, parks, woods, and old houses in my area. I'm pretty new to detecting and I've done very well with this machine.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the supporting vendors and do a google search for others. One vendor I cannot mention (not a supporting vendor) sold one without warranty for under $1,400. You can sometimes find a used one with warranty around your price range from individuals. I sold one almost 2 years ago for actually $1,700 or less (they traded and added cash) with the 6" coil and it had almost 2 years of warranty left. I knew it was a great deal for someone.

I sold my first CTX with all 3 coils, 2 lower rods, Proswing, CTX carry bag and control covers for $1750 with 2 years warranty left. I know of at least one good deal because I gave it! Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions