Could you help me choose a detector in the $600 range?

Lukabrazi

Greenie
Jan 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been reading lots of posts about detector recommendations this past weekend and decided to just start a thread and ask for some advice. When I was a kid I was mowing the lawn and as I made a loop along the edge of our horse pasture I saw a tiny circle on the ground that turned out to be a 1902 dime. Someone came over with a metal detector and found an old penny and a skeleton key in the same area. This was at least 25 years ago but I've quite often thought that I would like to do some detecting around a few old foundations I know of near where I grew up. I imagine I would be looking for coins and relics in north western and north central PA. I would probably check out some of the beaches around the local lakes as well but not sure that I need anything waterproof. I have been setting some money aside for a detector. Any recommendations around $600? I can't find anywhere locally that sells metal detectors so I'd have to order online. Thanks for any advice!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first AT Pros did not have cam locks on the shafts and had an older version of software and circuit board. Those serial #s started with 500 or 501xxxxx. I'd try to get a newer version one if buying used 530, 540, 550xxxxx .

If you decide to buy new, give me a call and Ill work you a great package.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135
Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Whites MX-5, Xterra 505 are good all around machines in that range. A used Xterra 705, Gold Bug Pro, G2 and F-19 are good coin and relic machines also in that range.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lukabrazi

Greenie
Jan 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice and taking the time to reply. I just sent a message and asked the seller for the first three digits. It's an ebay item but it's close enough that I could pick it up. Thanks for the info. It seems especially hard to sort through metal detector reviews. I'm always leery about reviews when people are "sponsored" and the nature of the internet seems to be that no matter what model I look up there are some bad reviews. I don't mind buying used if it's a screaming deal but I would pay a little bit more for new equipment that I know hasn't been beat on.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is right on the serial numbers. But if you can of look at it you will be able to see the wear it has on it. Try to get all recipes and bill of sales if possible.
Good luck!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's a brand new one for sale on here now with digger and carry bag for $500

OP
OP
L

Lukabrazi

Greenie
Jan 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first three digits were 524.

OP
OP
L

Lukabrazi

Greenie
Jan 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone use metaldetectorreviews.net? The Whites MX 5 and Gold Bug Pro seem to both get consistently good reviews and are around my price range.

Last edited:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
You have to watch out with reviews.... The bad reviews are usually from people that use them once or twice, and decide, this thing sucks. You have to learn the machine. A couple of 100 hrs..

My advice, listen to what people are saying here. They are very knowledgeable. Good Luck, and remember, there is no best. It's up to the operator!:thumbsup:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone use metaldetectorreviews.net? The Whites MX 5 and Gold Bug Pro seem to both get consistently good reviews and are around my price range.

Yes I have used it many times and a good many are pretty accurate. The one thing that I notice that is not necessarily accurate are the depth ratings. That is input while doing the review( I have done one on there) and not obtained from any scientific method but rather a general guy saying he can pick up a quarter at xx inches. The Gold bug Pro, and mx5 are about my 2 favorites in that price range.
The MX-5 has 1, 2 , and 8 tone audio that is a very good relic hunter in 2 tone and a good coin machine in 8 tone. The gold bug pro only has 2 tones with the low iron tone being adjustable at different levels. The F-19 and G2+ are identical to the gold bug pro with an added backlight, notch disc and more adjustable V-break.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lukabrazi

Greenie
Jan 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would a G2+ test unit be any different than the current model?

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding reviews, detectors are a lot like cars, some guys hate Fords, others hate Chevys. You will always find someone that does not like something.

Wayne

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why don't you just get a new one from Wayne?

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the advice and taking the time to reply. I just sent a message and asked the seller for the first three digits. It's an ebay item but it's close enough that I could pick it up. Thanks for the info. It seems especially hard to sort through metal detector reviews. I'm always leery about reviews when people are "sponsored" and the nature of the internet seems to be that no matter what model I look up there are some bad reviews. I don't mind buying used if it's a screaming deal but I would pay a little bit more for new equipment that I know hasn't been beat on.

Do yourself a favor, forget Feebay, and buy a new detector (with warranty) from a dealer who'll be there if needed. Been lots of posts on TN regarding bogus Garrett products (Chinese knock-offs).

ETA: Do your research on detectors, don't let someone else spend your money for you. Advice is one thing, but the final decision is yours.

OP
OP
L

Lukabrazi

Greenie
Jan 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nevermind about the G2+. Someone beat me to it. Sold for $415 over on the findmall forum.

OP
OP
L

Lukabrazi

Greenie
Jan 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up getting a used Whites MX5 with a little over a years warranty left for $325.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting