Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found these at my local WM for $23. I like the D handle as it is angled forward slightly, the foot rests are good size with anti-slip bumps and the spade has a nice taper from the foot rests to the blade. I have already purchased two, planning on shaping one to look similar to the Predator Raven.

D-Grip, Wood Handle 16 IN. Drain Spade | Ames
2531700_L_01.jpg

Anyone use this or modified one?

OP
OP
N5XTR

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One modified and going to leave to other one alone. I just trimmed and shaped it a little while deciding against serrations and going with a sharp edge instead. I have a large grinder with a zirconium flap disc that makes putting an edge on steel easy.

IMG_0582_zpssi7psnnq.jpg

Several test plugs later, I feel that this will shine as a field/relic digger. I sliced easily through roots and the plugs were clean.

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But a serrated edge looks cooler...lol

OP
OP
N5XTR

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But a serrated edge looks cooler...lol

I agree. This is a fairly large shovel for fields/relic hunting and I think the serrations would just get caught on things in the truck of the car rather than being useful in the field. Maybe I am mistake about the serrations, time will tell.

OP
OP
N5XTR

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took the shovel out for some relic hunting yesterday and it worked very well slicing through 1" roots with ease. Pretty happy so far with the plugs I can cut with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread