Newbie need advice - which detector to buy

OkieDave

May 2, 2016
Oklahoma / Florida
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello all. I'm planning on purchasing my first metal detector and could really use some advice. My budget is around $600. I mainly plan to use it on the Florida East Coast beaches, wet and dry sand. Would like to do shallow water searching also. I've been looking at the Garrett Ace but would like your input. Please give make and model, pros and cons of your suggestions.
I'm stoked to dig my first pull tab and Gold ring!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Look at the Whites DFX. I use it for wet & dry sand, parks, deep woods etc. It is very sensitive, deep and accurate. It is a great turn on and go detector with a LOT of Pro Programs built in. I find dimes at 10" no prob. Very sensitive to gold and silver. It screams on silver ok. Larger objects like a jar of coins can be detected at 4' down. You can buy a used one in great shape for about $400. If you "ever" break it White's will usually fix it for FREE. You can't beat that.!!! Garretts and the others all charge a good buck to repair anything ok. With the DFX you will never need another detector again ok. Make sure you buy a GOOD set of headphones like the Grey Ghost's or the Killer Bee's ok. Think about it.
PS: You can NOT go wading with the DFX ok. Just wait for low tide. PEACE:RONB

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Try Kellyco, they always have great deals and plenty of folks ready to help you out wisely for what you are after.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A used safari/ Explorer or Sovereign GT can be bought for that money. A single freq detector without ground balance will not work well in wet salt sand. Multiple freq machines run well on wet salt

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Fletch.... try to find a used Sovereign. The multi-Frequency technology is proven to perform very well in the conditions you are describing. An Minelab Excalibur would also be good as they are fully waterproof, but cost more than your budget even used.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a AT Pro and love it!

If I was planning on doing salt water beaches primarily tho... I would probably go with something else. I've heard numerous times if can act chattery on saltwater beaches and I would suspect the Ace to do the same thing.

As Garrett says in his book. Give yourself a price budget and then add 100-200 dollars on top of that. You get what you pay for.

Many people I see on the east/west coast use minelab's. I would look into getting a used Excal 1000 or 2000, but that's just me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread