Grass Coin Extractor ~ how well do they work ?

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's it. I see them sold by a couple different detector dealers, usually at about $32.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that supposed to enable pulling a clean plug? I can only see that working in soft soil.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not mention looks like it makes a very small diameter plug, with no hinge of any sort. IMHO, both of those issues dramatically chance for survival of the plug.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not mention looks like it makes a very small diameter plug, with no hinge of any sort. IMHO, both of those issues dramatically chance for survival of the plug.

Lol, on mobile. Add "to" and "decrease" where they seem to make sense.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Without ever using one, I'm going to go ahead and say that's a crap product, and at that price is borderline scam.

A section of copper pipe and wooden dowel would probably be as effective.

If you try one let us know how much you regret it. :laughing7:

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I saw that it does a 3" plug, but you're right; no flap. Probably works only in soft turf...rocks would make it nearly useless.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say it's not worth $32 to me. Won't work at all in this rocky soil. Even if it did, I'd see it would probably take more than one "plugging" most times in use. Certainly not made for deep targets.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
3"!?

Ever had to drive pipe in soil? 3" would require a cap and sledge in anything but loam.

Driving a 1/2" ground rod is sometimes very difficult. Can't imagine using this...ever!

Looks like detecting has similar problems as fishing. Many lures are designed to catch Fisherman, not fish!

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
....Looks like detecting has similar problems as fishing. Many lures are designed to catch Fisherman, not fish!

Which is probably why the thing is only offered by a couple different detector dealers, and I don't see any mention of 'em here. Had to ask.. ^_^

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Which is probably why the thing is only offered by a couple different detector dealers, and I don't see any mention of 'em here. Had to ask.. ^_^

Hopefully we've saved you $32. And those who manufacture these things - well, I applaud them for their efforts. We all gotta make money to live on - but we all also gotta save money when appropriate!

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully we've saved you $32. And those who manufacture these things - well, I applaud them for their efforts. We all gotta make money to live on - but we all also gotta save money when appropriate!

How bout we split the $32..I'll throw my share in for beers:occasion14:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, used a manufactured one & one I made myself in 1992 or so. They look good and that's about it. As said, they are a bear to sink in even clay. One thing not mentioned is if you rock it back and forth trying to get it out, you'll compact the edges of the hole and you end up leaving a mess. I gave the manufactured one to a friend & he gave it back a week later. They're a pain in the butt (pun intended) to carry. Hate to be so negative but really can't say much good. Hope this helps you save some cash and some grief!

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't buy one - thanks for the replies.
I bought myself a Lesche digger instead (was using a big survival knife). The Lesche works great!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions