Lesche Sampson T-Handles: Serated or doube sharp edges?

OP
OP
A

a_gunslinger

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went with the single serrated, under the assumption that I would like one side cutting/slicing at all times. Best deal I found was this one on ebay. Lesche Sampson T Handle Professional Digging Tool Shovel w Serrated Blade | eBay

Its a well made shovel. At first glance the only thing I thought of was that I wish the place you put your foot on the shovel to push on was a little wider. I can only get like my big toe area on that so the force I am going to be able to put on it will be limited. We shall see ;^)

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You maybe should have went with the Raven. It has a wider footstep. Double serrated though.
I went with the single serrated, under the assumption that I would like one side cutting/slicing at all times. Best deal I found was this one on ebay. Lesche Sampson T Handle Professional Digging Tool Shovel w Serrated Blade | eBay

Its a well made shovel. At first glance the only thing I thought of was that I wish the place you put your foot on the shovel to push on was a little wider. I can only get like my big toe area on that so the force I am going to be able to put on it will be limited. We shall see ;^)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm considering..... Looking to step up to one in addition to my Lesche (sp?), but just taking my time choosing one. Roots, with my Lesche are a pain in the derriere!.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'll be surprised if you end up disappointed. This shovel is an awesome tool. I routinely slice through thumb thick roots with 1 or 2 passes and have on a few occasions gotten through one's nearly twice as thick with a few minutes of well directed effort.

It is by definition a "mini" shovel @ only 18", so all of it's dimensions are reduced. I purchased it to use in the more wooded sections of a city park I hunt because of it's low profile, but honestly, it's become my goto shovel for all my wooded relic sites.

I'm size 10 and typically am wearing a hiker type boot and have no issues fitting my feet on the shovel. FWIW, I'd never use my toes to apply downward force...I use the arch when digging seems like it will be easy and just beneath the ball of my foot when it looks like I'll have to work some.

edit: it's worth mentioning as I look at this shovel and knowing my use/care of tools, I imagine I will have this for the rest of my life, unless I somehow lose it.

Last edited:

laradactyl

Jan 12, 2016
Kerrville, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 31" Sampson without serrations and the 18" with serrations on one side. I prefer no serrations because the serrations on the 18 catch on the grass roots before tearing through them and this breaks up the plug unless there is a lot of moisture in the soil. I do keep the blades sharp so the non serrated edge just slices through the grass roots and this is what works best for me. I would probably use the 18 inch Sampson more often if it did not have serrations.

OP
OP
A

a_gunslinger

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent used it yet. But has anyone's foot gotten sore after a lot of digging with this? I wish that step where you push with your foot was just a little wider. Wondering if that small focal point is going to make that spot on my foot sore after a lot of digging. Better upgrade my boots ;^)

rreahard

Mar 29, 2016
Hammond, LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent used it yet. But has anyone's foot gotten sore after a lot of digging with this? I wish that step where you push with your foot was just a little wider. Wondering if that small focal point is going to make that spot on my foot sore after a lot of digging. Better upgrade my boots ;^)

Wear a thick soled shoe/boot.

I've never had a problem with it.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nope and I wear flip flops. Just kidding, I've had no issues using sneakers though.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah... Adidas sneakers here usually. Sometimes muck boots....all depends where I'm detecting really!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as serrations go, my sampson is one sided serrations and it cuts clean plugs. I can't imagine them being any cleaner without serrations. The raven cuts very nicely and does just as well as the sampson even though it has double serrations. Hard to go wrong with either.

I like that the sampson has foot steps no wider than the blade. That allows me to dig deeper without widening the plug.

The raven is the opposite. 10 inches or more depth and you have to widen the plug. It's more comfortable to use though. Plus the shape of the blade allowes me to often make one slice, soil lift, and recovery for shallow to mid-depth targets. A wonderful tool.

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered the Lesche 40" Ground Shark and the Lesche Left serrated hand digging tool. I went for the longer 40" due to me being 6'9" tall. It's singly serrated and I forgot to ask about double serration...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread