Lesche Sampson T-Handles: Serated or doube sharp edges?

a_gunslinger

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking to get one of the Sampson shovels. Torn between the one with one serrated edge or the double sharp edges . Thoughts?

pro.jpg
serated.jpg

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
It depends on the soil, you cutting through roots, rocks or clay?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the serrated model, and I suggest you do the same. Doesn't hurt, and really helps in rooty situations! :occasion14:

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Serrated, it will help to bust through roots and there is no difference in performance in soft soil compared to the smooth version. In other words you have more capability with the serrated.
9b787831dcf31fe7605e4b6f555ad033.jpg

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Serrated for sure...

Jadocs, I thought you had a picture of my set up! Crazy close

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to the Big Bear Lake area to detect and realized that I forgot my Sampson Shovel with the serrated side and so I ended up not even detecting.
Serrated for sure.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Serrated, it will help to bust through roots and there is no difference in performance in soft soil compared to the smooth version. In other words you have more capability with the serrated.

I bought the belt hanger for my shovel, used it once, and haven't used it since. I found it to be more irritating than helpful, as I had to push it to my middle back to it would not register on my coil at the end of my swings. I just carry it over my shoulder now. What is your experience with it? :skullflag:

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yup!

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the belt hanger for my shovel, used it once, and haven't used it since. I found it to be more irritating than helpful, as I had to push it to my middle back to it would not register on my coil at the end of my swings. I just carry it over my shoulder now. What is your experience with it? :skullflag:

I have it mounted on the right side of my belt as shown. I'm right handed so it does not interfere with my coil when I swing to the right (I imagine it would if I was carrying it to my left). I have found carrying it on the right side does not interfere with my stride either. I would imagine carrying it to the rear...it would hit my ankles when I walk.

The LCE (suspenders and belt) really helps to distribute weight. I have the suspenders adjusted to ride high (belt loosely rides across my belly button) this gives me the additional height needed when carrying the Sampson.

You can pick up an LCE (suspenders and belt) at any Army surplus store for around $20). What's not shown above is an ammo pouch I added to carry my phone, bug spray, and car keys, chewing tobacco . Carrying those things in a pocket usually results in them getting soaked with sweat.

1301c3bc5d32529b7f369cf6d638c726.jpg

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another vote for the one with the serrated edge. Mine has served me well, can bust through all kinds of roots that way.

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did not know they made a double serrated...do you have a link? Thanks

I do not. I had just assumed ....

Have you looked at the Piranha? Sent you a PM.

Last edited:

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be able to get one made that is double serrated, just by asking.

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both the 58-LT (S) Ultra Eagle and model 76 Intrepid are double serrated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread