I put a 46" handle on a 6" shovel. 40' for the wife.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When you start aging, extra weight and cumbersome tools wear you down faster. I used to be able to metal detect for 10 hours straight with no problems. Not no more. This past season I was using a full size shovel cut down to 40" but decided to put a longer handle on my 6" wide shovel to downsize the workload. Comes in at under 2 LBS. The wifes somewhat less. The small one is what they looked like B4 customizing. $9.97 at Home Depot. The handles are $8.97 there. Replaced the rivets with $3 in stainless steel bolts, nuts & washers then used my grinder to sharpen the blades. We've been using these same shovels for a few years now but my knees are getting touchy so want to keep on my feet as much as possible and so I made mine 46". My wife actually has my old shovel that's at least 5 years old. Maybe more. Hers is now 40". I've never broken one of these small shovels since i started using them more than a decade ago. They're tougher than they look. We field hunt mostly but they work well on lawns and in lengthy grass pastures too. I know there are high quality shovels out there but they're pretty expensive and not quite long enough for me. These cost us about $21 each with the customization.

We don't have any gravel in the soil where we hunt and only small roots usually.

Attachments

• rsz_img_0214.jpg
    rsz_img_0214.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 169

Goegelmj

Aug 25, 2016
North East Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro 11" DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gwdigger, I've been using one of these for a while now and just love it. Picked it up at Home Depot for $14. I was considering shortening the handle but the weight is not bothering me yet. The soil in my area is mainly heavy red clay and it does a good job cutting a nice plug with minimal effort. It has a 6" blade and weighs 2.6 lbs. It sounds very similar to the one you have/modified.

Happy digging,

MikeG

Attachments

• 1b3b9a0f-5795-43ba-9d08-7fbd58b41b48_1000.jpg
    1b3b9a0f-5795-43ba-9d08-7fbd58b41b48_1000.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 112

Ima digger

Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been using a "drain spade, trenching shovel" for I don't know how many years. It has a very long straight blade, very narrow, no dish in it. I usually have my husband make me a straight long handle, as tall as me. but am using a store-bought handle with the hand hold right now. I like it for digging plants, it doesn't tear up any thing except where you cut down with it. And found out years aGO, it's great for MDing, for the same reason. Its easier on my back, and I only get a small hole, exactly where I want it. I kinda use it like a huge trowel , almost straight down. I never have liked the ones shaped like a big spoon. Less bending, less dirt removal, less pain in the back. To each her own. Ima

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gwdigger, I've been using one of these for a while now and just love it. Picked it up at Home Depot for $14. I was considering shortening the handle but the weight is not bothering me yet. The soil in my area is mainly heavy red clay and it does a good job cutting a nice plug with minimal effort. It has a 6" blade and weighs 2.6 lbs. It sounds very similar to the one you have/modified.

Happy digging,

MikeG
This is exactly what we would have bought. When I went in to buy the stuff to modify ours, Home Depot didnt have these.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread