Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've read a few threads here and I'm trying to decide which pick is best. I've looked at these few. I'm curious though, does the pick get in the way of 'grabbing' something with the magnet being that it's mounted in the pick head? Which pick do you prefer and why? Thanks

Royal
http://www.royalmfgind.com/index.php/products/product/231/gold-prospecting

The Apex
Extreme 36" handle 3 magnets | Apex Picks

Bunk's
BunksArizonaProspecting

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're gonna be digging in sandy conditions, I'd probably choose the Bunks Hermit Pick. Otherwise, if working primarily harder ground/hard clay/caliche, then either of the other two. I like the looks of the Royal pick a little better than the Apex. Would've been nice if they would have come with unbreakable handles, but oh well.

Have you looked at similar picks at your local building center? You can often get a cheap version of the Royal for less than 1/2 the price. ...But probably not as well made, softer steel, and cheaper handle as well. ...Sorry, just rambling. :tongue3:

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
is this the royal pick http://www.royalmfgind.com/index.php/products/product/189/gold-prospecting

If you're gonna be digging in sandy conditions, I'd probably choose the Bunks Hermit Pick. Otherwise, if working primarily harder ground/hard clay/caliche, then either of the other two. I like the looks of the Royal pick a little better than the Apex. Would've been nice if they would have come with unbreakable handles, but oh well.

Have you looked at similar picks at your local building center? You can often get a cheap version of the Royal for less than 1/2 the price. ...But probably not as well made, softer steel, and cheaper handle as well. ...Sorry, just rambling. :tongue3:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a gold prospector that has used all these picks, Bunk's Hermit pick is the one you want. It goes through caliche as well as any other and is a better all around tool.

Attachments

• HermitPicks.jpg
    HermitPicks.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
100acre

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a gold prospector that has used all these picks, Bunk's Hermit pick is the one you want. It goes through caliche as well as any other and is a better all around tool.

What do you think about the magnet being located in the pick head as opposed to the end of the handle. Plus do you think it'd be easy to mount one to the opposite end of the pick?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can always take the magnet off the top if you want. I have mine in a sandwich bag taped to the end of my handle. When too much black sand builds up I just take it out of the bag and the stuff falls off the bag.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread