Predator or Sampson

51Relic

Greenie
Jan 20, 2017
Prince Edward Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. I am looking at a quality shovel to add to my metal detecting resources. At present the two I am considering are the Piranha which has an overall length of 41", has a double serrated edge on an 11 3/4" X 5 3/4" blade and weighs 3.2 lbs.

The other one in consideration is the 31" Lesche Sampson which has a single serrated edge on a 7 1/2" X 4" blade and weighs 2.5 lbs.

As novice to the hobby I do not have past experience to draw upon in making the decision, so I am looking for opinions, and answers to a few specific questions:

!) How much of a difference does the longer length really make? At 65 I have some arthritic and gimpy knees and a back issue so I am wondering if the extra length of the Piranha would be better, or is the 31 inch Sampson adequate.

2) Is the larger blade and double serrated edge on the Piranha necessary? What advantage is it?

These are expensive items to buy from Canada so I would like to be confident in my decision. I understand it has a lot to do with personal preference and where one is doing their metal detecting but getting experience from others is invaluable.

Comments are welcome.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on how tall you are. I'm 5' 11'' and I find my lesch could be a tad longer for those long digging days. If I was say 5'6'' or so I think it would do just fine. Im not an old man yet but my knees and back are also shot....i chose the wrong hobby.

OP
OP

51Relic

Greenie
Jan 20, 2017
Prince Edward Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on how tall you are. I'm 5' 11'' and I find my lesch could be a tad longer for those long digging days. If I was say 5'6'' or so I think it would do just fine. Im not an old man yet but my knees and back are also shot....i chose the wrong hobby.

I am also 5'11" tall and can empathize with your aches. I don't expect to be doing metal detecting all day. A friend of mine starts out at dawn and goes until supper. I'd be lucky to make it til noon! I know it is going to make me ache but I am a stubborn old cuss who refuses to let his pain stop him from enjoying life.......maybe just not as much as others. :icon_thumleft:

Doc5934

Greenie
Nov 3, 2016
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Pinpointer(s)
Predator Tools Piranha shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just received my Piranah yesterday. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but at 6'4" it seems that this will be a great shovel, the handle comes to just below my bellybutton when its in front of me. And man this thing feels well made. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
51relic
Save your money, and take this advice. If you're looking for a quality product at a great price that will last a lifetime here is what you can consider...take a drive to York(PEI) and go to Vessey's Seeds, there's a shovel they sell there, orange handle and a small blade. Made in Canada and costs about $20!
It WILL last forever.
At least take a look, you'll spend 2-4x that online. It's the best deal out there

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the lesche and find it to be the perfect shovel. Too long of a shovel will or least could be a bit of a hassle in the bush. Weight is also an issue after a long day detecting.
For parks, big shovels can scare people.

Last edited:

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought the Pirhana two weeks ago. I absolutely love this thing! I've used the Sampson before. No comparison. The Pirhana is the one to get. Goes through everything like butter.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread