Non-marring coin probe

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see the ones with brass probe shafts, but the manual that came with my Tesoro mentioned probes made from sections of fiberglass fishing rods. These sound mighty breakable to me, but was wondering if there are probe materials out there that are durable and yet truly non-marring that I haven't encountered. Anyone?
I use a screwdriver with the tip rounded, but this still causes damage.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need a metal softer than the metal of the coins you are digging. Most that I see are made of brass

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco, I could make one out of lead wire but it would only be useful in a dry sandbox.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of the brass ones with a plastic handle like a screwdriver, the brass probe rod extends about 6-7" from the handle. I have discovered that with use over time that tiny bits of rock like material have become embedded in the soft brass and that it will certainly scratch a silver or copper coin. Now I only use mine for shallow signals that are most probably clad coins, and a scratch will only add to their character.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No such thing. Wiping with tissue paper can lower the grade of a coin.

But, I'd go with aluminum or brass rod.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a brass one. You can find brass rod at the local hardware store like Home Depot. Drill a hole in a chunk of wood for the handle and file the end round. The fishing rod might not be stiff enough.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about something like an aluminum tent stake? They are readily available, cheap, and come in a variety of diameters and lengths.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get yourself some brass welding rod and a golf ball. drill a hole in the ball that is really tight for the rod. file the tip bullet shape. Been using them for years with good result. If you lose it cheap to replace. I get my golf balls from the perimeter of the local driving range.

Scratches can be avoided by remembering, you're probing not trying to stab it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get yourself some brass welding rod and a golf ball. drill a hole in the ball that is really tight for the rod. file the tip bullet shape. Been using them for years with good result. If you lose it cheap to replace. I get my golf balls from the perimeter of the local driving range.

Scratches can be avoided by remembering, you're probing not trying to stab it.

Whether you build or buy one, do what boogeyman said and round off the tip. I don't think I ever put a single mark on a coin all the years I used old-school probes, and I started out with an old steel ice-pick for a probe! Keep in mind the purpose of it, you shouldnt be stabbing or scraping or anything like that with it. Pinpoint the target, put the probe in at the location under the center of you coil and GENTLY probe in an outward spiral until you find it. After gaining experience you can feel the difference between metal, rocks, glass, etc.

cutty

Sep 8, 2004
SE tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one that was steel with a knurled aluminum handle but it had a small ball bearing brazed on the end of the shaft. Worked great but eventually the brazing failed and suddenly no more ball bearing. No idea what brand it was, probably bought it 25 years ago

Down_n_Dirty65

Feb 27, 2018
MA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think one of those rods you can get at Home Depot to line your driveway in winter would work? Pretty stiff fiberglass I think and about 3 or 4 feet long? ...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think one of those rods you can get at Home Depot to line your driveway in winter would work? Pretty stiff fiberglass I think and about 3 or 4 feet long? ...

dont use fiberglass. It will eventually break (shatter) and you could wind up driving you hand onto the broken shaft you were trying to push into the soil. fiberglass embedded in your hand is very nasty.

Down_n_Dirty65

Feb 27, 2018
MA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I used to build fiberglass boats, no fun at all...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread