How do you carry your ball handle Sampson?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, I just got one of the ball handle 31" Sampson shovels, and wondering if there's a convenient way to carry 'em around for the day. Thinking that the belt sheathes for Sampsons are most likely for the 18" mini, and not so much the longer handles.. Don't want it smacking my knee while hiking. Not really wanting to carry it around the woods in one hand either. How's a sling work?

How do you-all carry your Sampson (or similar) shovel?

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess nobody uses the longer ball handle Sampson..?

Well, after a little discussion with the wife and daughter, I decided that maybe an arrow quiver style made from heavy canvas or soft leather could be what I want. Sort of a bag for the handle, to be worn across my back (or chest) with shoulder a strap, and a loop or grommet down lower to clip on belt loop with a carabiner clip.. Need to design it so the shovel head doesn't hit my hat or headphones though..
Before all you leather workers and pouch makers stitch one up, remember to give me credit for the idea. :sunny:
My wife will start on one for me when I dig out some old couch leather I've been saving for just such a project. Of course if one of you guys want to make me a prototype to test, rights for my idea can be negotiated..

BTW - "Digger's Quiver" © 7/22/17 - is what I'm calling it. :tongue3:

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use a hammer holder for your belt. Has a leather base and a metal loop. Carry the shove upside down with the head at the top.

I think that would work OK for the mini 18" Sampson, but wouldn't the 31" handle smack your knee when walking..?

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still working on a solution to this as well. I just carry it on my shoulder for now but there has to be a better way. I have one of the kydex belt holder deals and yeah, it bangs into your legs and gets in the way big time. A sling is a good idea but seems like it'd be a pain to access your shovel and I'd imagine it'd slide around too much.

It would have to be secure, easy to access, and out of the way.

Until there's a better solution, mine will ride my shoulder.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe a kydex sling holder. Make the sling from a wide leather belt and the kydex holster on the "back" part of the sling. The kydex can be purchased in sheets from Amazon. I would put the shovel end down into the kydex holster with the ball end sticking up so it could be easily grabbed?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HPIM0593.jpg .

I made a cover for the edge and use mine like a cane in the woods. 37-1/2" Dixie.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions