Solid Spade Produced Completely from Titan Metal and Designed for Metal Detecting

SuchMuch

Jan 7, 2017
St.Petersburg
Detector(s) used
AKA Sorex Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Guys,
Recently yet another valuable find (pendant dd 10th - 13th century) was damaged badly by me with the small spade :Cray:. The only way to prevent any damage done to finds is to make wider and deeper holes. Wider and deeper holes means spade with a larger and longer blade...

Right at the moment there are 2-3 models of spades those would suite me, but they are heavy (about 2 kgs and even heavier) and 1 of them has a woodern handle that would be broken for sure.

I'm thinking about solid spade designed for metal detecting needs and produced completely (blade and handle) from titan metal. It should be a strong and lightweight spade at the same time... You would ask me why titan metal to be used? Here are my answers:
  • Dirt/wet ground easily falls off objects produced from titan metal, titan spade will not be overweight with dirt when conditions are damp.
  • Titan is the most strongest metal available on planet earth. Objects produced from titan are strong, wear-resistant and durable
  • Titan is a lightweight metall. As a rule, top premium tourist equipment is produced from titan.
  • Titan does not corrode. Should it become wet under rain, it will not be impacted at all.
  • Solid spade means no remavable parts, therefore overal reliability will be high. Handle won't brake as it usually happens with wooden handle spades.

I have contacted the firm specialized in producing bicycle frames and circus equipment from titan and offered to produce limited edition of titan spade specially designed for detectorists. All together we worked up Solid Titan Spade Project:

Solid Titan Spade Project:​​

Just to give you an idea how it will look like:
9851952.jpg

On a picture above is a lesche model produced from a steel. Titan spade will be of same shape but with different parametres.

Solid Titan Spade Parameters:
  • Overall height from the very top till the very bottom is 70 cms
  • "T" handle
  • Handle is 49,5 cms long
  • Blade is concave (part of cylinder) and its dimensions are: Width 17,5 cms x Height 20,5 cms
  • Blade thikness is 2-3 mm
  • Blade with a step
  • There will be 2-3 parts designed to strengthen the handle and the blade
  • Overal weight will be 1,1 - 1,3 kgs whilst overal strength is secured high
  • Russian titanium grades equal to well known titanium grade 9 3Al-2.5V will be used
  • (removed by mod)

Therefore comes a question: Would you buy this titan spade? How many of you would like to have it?

Pls vote and feel free to leave comments :hello:

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that only charter members are allowed to sell here, only supporting vendors are allowed to advertise a website selling.

OP
OP
SuchMuch

SuchMuch

Jan 7, 2017
St.Petersburg
Detector(s) used
AKA Sorex Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Would like the reduced weight but could not justify the expense of one.
No way to reduce the weight and keep blade of mentioned size.

PS.
No one is selling here. I want to figure out if there is an interest could be to such spades

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
No way to reduce the weight and keep blade of mentioned size.

PS.
No one is selling here. I want to figure out if there is an interest could be to such spades

If these are actually titanium instead of the normal steel ones, they should be lighter in weight?

Others have offered hand diggers made from titanium, they look great, don't rust, are very strong, are light in weight but sell for 2 - 3 times what a good steel one does and most hunters are not willing to pay this high price for a digging tool.

OP
OP
SuchMuch

SuchMuch

Jan 7, 2017
St.Petersburg
Detector(s) used
AKA Sorex Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If these are actually titanium instead of the normal steel ones, they should be lighter in weight?

Others have offered hand diggers made from titanium, they look great, don't rust, are very strong, are light in weight but sell for 2 - 3 times what a good steel one does and most hunters are not willing to pay this high price for a digging tool.

Spade blade is large one, that's why weight is about 1 kg.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the word you are looking for is "Titanium".

It is not as durable as high quality steel, so usually it is only used as a coating on tools. Tungsten Carbide or the alloy Titanium Carbide is a LOT more durable than raw Titanium.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
He is referring to titanium... bicycle maker was the clue. High end frames are titanium... light, a little flexible, no rust and expensive.

I would be all over a titanium shovel, that would be out of the price range of my hunting buddies! Ah exclusivity.

I believe we might be missing the point... titanium shovels and bigger holes are not the answer... better pinpointing is the answer.

JMHO.

Best of luck SuchMuch.

cutty

Sep 8, 2004
SE tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys,
Recently yet another valuable find (pendant dd 10th - 13th century) was damaged badly by me with the small spade :Cray:. The only way to prevent any damage done to finds is to make wider and deeper holes. Wider and deeper holes means spade with a larger and longer blade...

Right at the moment there are 2-3 models of spades those would suite me, but they are heavy (about 2 kgs and even heavier) and 1 of them has a woodern handle that would be broken for sure.

I'm thinking about solid spade designed for metal detecting needs and produced completely (blade and handle) from titan metal. It should be a strong and lightweight spade at the same time... You would ask me why titan metal to be used? Here are my answers:
  • Dirt/wet ground easily falls off objects produced from titan metal, titan spade will not be overweight with dirt when conditions are damp.
  • Titan is the most strongest metal available on planet earth. Objects produced from titan are strong, wear-resistant and durable
  • Titan is a lightweight metall. As a rule, top premium tourist equipment is produced from titan.
  • Titan does not corrode. Should it become wet under rain, it will not be impacted at all.
  • Solid spade means no remavable parts, therefore overal reliability will be high. Handle won't brake as it usually happens with wooden handle spades.

I have contacted the firm specialized in producing bicycle frames and circus equipment from titan and offered to produce limited edition of titan spade specially designed for detectorists. All together we worked up Solid Titan Spade Project:

Solid Titan Spade Project:​​

Just to give you an idea how it will look like:
9851952.jpg

On a picture above is a lesche model produced from a steel. Titan spade will be of same shape but with different parametres.

Solid Titan Spade Parameters:
  • Overall height from the very top till the very bottom is 70 cms
  • "T" handle
  • Handle is 49,5 cms long
  • Blade is concave (part of cylinder) and its dimensions are: Width 17,5 cms x Height 20,5 cms
  • Blade thikness is 2-3 mm
  • Blade with a step
  • There will be 2-3 parts designed to strengthen the handle and the blade
  • Overal weight will be 1,1 - 1,3 kgs whilst overal strength is secured high
  • Russian titanium grades equal to well known titanium grade 9 3Al-2.5V will be used
  • (removed by mod)

Therefore comes a question: Would you buy this titan spade? How many of you would like to have it?

Pls vote and feel free to leave comments :hello:
Titan=Titanium??

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought one of these on Amazon a few weeks ago. 30 bucks. Solid titanium blade. Hard to believe something this thin can be so strong. I've been doing some serious prying with it in our dry (no rain for 5 months) ground worrying it might bend or break. Not even close. Handle is hickory(?). I've been choking up on it a bit when prying for fear of snapping but it's tough too. If it breaks I suppose I could replace it with a length of titanium tubing (available on Ebay). Dirt doesn't stick to it. No serrations and not much of a place to step down on but it's sharp enough to penetrate ground pretty easily. Probably not going to replace a relic spade but I'll bring it. Weighs 12 ounces. Right now it's my new favorite digging tool . We'll see how it holds up. I'd probably be interested in a titanium relic type shovel it the price was right.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread