GhostlyDesigns

Greenie
Aug 14, 2011
north Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites - Prizm 6T and ancient CoinMaster
Primary Interest:
Other
A probe of some kind - many use modified screwdrivers, some an ice pick, others a piece of fiberglass rod. Some sort of digging tool and that depends on what you are hunting. Headphones are nice, I've got a couple I use One is just a single ear - that way I can listen to what is going on around me, the other Bose noise cancelling for when I have to really concentrate. A pinpointer detector is nice, the Harbor Freight unit is fine if you do the mod of a thermistor for temperature drift compensation. Some people need a bag or two to carry everything in, but I just stuff it in my pockets. You might find a hat, sunscreen and sunglasses handy especially during the summer.

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply. This probably sounds like a stupid question, but why a probe? Aren't most things we would find like a coin? How does a probe help that? What does you mean about the mod to the Harbor Freight unit? Totally didn't understand that. Thanks.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For ground hunting, a good pinpointer is almost a necessity. Will save time finding things, and could pay for itself if it helps you to avoid scratching a valuable coin [which is very easy to do].
A good purpose designed shovel, Lesche or Predator. A 5 in 1 digging tool, makes it easy to do finish digging or cutting small plugs when a shovel is overkill, fits easily in back pocket. don't get a dollar store one, quality ones can be had for around $5 at box stores. Pair of mechanics gloves, thats about it for me.
Occasionally I'll carry around a frisbee with an improvised lanyard when I am detecting grassy areas that I don't want to leave dirt stains at.

For the beach, all you really need is a good sand scoop.
Sometimes I'll do without that and just use my 5 in 1 and a pinpointer, beach hunting is usually very easy compared to ground.
Would also advise not scrimping out on the pinpointer and getting a cheap harbor freight POS - Garrett Carrot probably the most popular one, but there are quite a few to chose from from $100 or so to $200.

In any case, remember to always fill in your holes.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My needs are few: A trowel (I like my Lesche M85) and a finds pouch.

Luxuries are an electronic pinpointer and a waterproof pad to kneel on.

That's about it.

Good detector and headphones are a given.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what I️ use, and I️ feel very well prepared when I️ go out:

Predator tools - model 35 piranha shovel

Minelab pro-find pinpointed

Pair of decent gloves so glass can’t cut you when you dig

Decent detector

Pouch to put your finds in (and your trash if you’re a decent detectorist who cleans up after themselves

fortaleza

Jun 15, 2013
Northern Illinois, Fortaleza Brazil
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett Ace 250, 2 Garrett Pro Pointers gotta have a backup
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides all the items mentioned spare batteries, a belt with pouch, gloves ,rag and old toothbrush.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude are you wanting to get into the hobby on the cheap or with quality items?

I started with a hardened steel garden trowel and 2 ft long shovel from Ace hardware. I also made a couple of hooks from heavy gauge copper wire I dug. I had it pushed down over my belt above my left rear pocket to hold the shovel. Used this set-up for a couple years

755625009180lg.jpg hooks.jpg

Once I used a Lesche hand digger the garden trowel was relegated to the role as a loaner. I dig plugs in a clockwise motion so my lesche hand digger is has the teeth on the left side.

th (13).jpg

The 2 foot shovel worked great, but last Xmas I got a Lesche Sampson 31" long with the T handle. It's awesome for coin shooting. Now my 2 ft shovel is a loaner.

$_12.jpg

For a finds pouch I use a nail apron from Home Depot. They cost less than a dollar. My 1st one lasted 2 years. Trash on one side and treasure in the other

1817ae14-243c-4ddc-bff2-e86c4fa49aea_400_compressed.jpg

I recommend gloves and get mine at lowes for $10 a 10pack.

662909947857lg.jpg

I hunted the 1st 6 months without a pinpointer, now I won't hunt without one.

stay away from the cheaper models that look like this. They have a range of 1/2 to 5/8 inches.

th (14).jpg

I use both the older Black Garrett Pro-Pointer and the Garrett Carrot.

20151212_094137.jpg

I also use a knee pad on my right knee. I started out using the cheapest ones Lowes has since we had a couple pairs in the garage from when we layed tiles in the house. They worked, but I wanted something better and bought a pair of these.

019374948283lg.jpg

These worked great, but need to be adjusted occasional since they do not stay where I want them.

I plan on buying a pair of these.

Valken Tactical.jpg

Nothing worse than kneeling on a stone or acorn or to have a soaked knee from hunting when the grass is wet.

If you plan on doing some field hunting or relic hunting I recommend a good finds pouch.

th (15).jpg

Once you start to dig coins you will need something to clean your clad so you ought to get a rock tumbler. I picked mine up at Harbor Freight for less than $40.

image_5745.jpg

You ought to come on down to Wellington soon, I can save you a lot of writing.

For headphones I mainly use a cheap $4.99 pair since they do not cover my ears when it's hot or in an area I need to be aware of my surroundings.

th (16).jpg

When I am in a safe are to hunt or near noisy trains I use a pair of Black Widows

th (17).jpg

Using headphones extends battery life in your detector since it's not using it's external speaker.

Here is a pick of my gear after 1 year in the hobby.

20150703_100637.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome post, very informative, thank you!

What are the tennis balls for?

Funny thing, I was driving with the wife yesterday so as I was driving anytime I was driving by old building and whatnot I kept thinking, that would be cool to detect there LOL

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There will as many rigs as folks that answer you but what I've found that works for me is:
1. Obviously a good detector and headphones.
2. Some type of pouch for trash and keepers; I use a two-pocket leather nail pouch.
3. Something to protect items that can be damaged; I use a small plastic snap-lid box with cotton balls in the compartments.
4. A good shovel; I use a Lesche.
5. A hand trowel/digging tool; this can be added later but is valuable, again I use a Lesche.
6. A pinpointer; this can be added later but saves so much time finding small items.

Here is a pic of my rig:
20171112_133900[1].jpg

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I am new to metal detecting and of course besides a detector, what do you consider must have tools and accessories. Thanks!

Best accessory I have are my kids, take them out, get them interested teach them, or in your case learn and develop with them on the same level, kids eat that equality stuff up, they like finding stuff too.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome post, very informative, thank you!

What are the tennis balls for?

Funny thing, I was driving with the wife yesterday so as I was driving anytime I was driving by old building and whatnot I kept thinking, that would be cool to detect there LOL

The tennis balls help me grid an area if mower lines are not present. You lay them out, even spaced, in a row along the beginning line you want to hunt. When you come up to one, you slide it to the left about 3 feet (using your coil and continue this until you end your 1st grid line.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once I got into the hobby and the wife an I are driving some place that when I speak up and say "I'd like to hit that" she knows I am not talking about the girl walking down the street, but rather the old yard we just passed. :tongue3:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mini excavator. I prefer the one with a 12' boom. Gas powered. (And no I don't dig with one.)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Loco-Digger,

IMHO: I use the orange flags with thin metal wires bought from Lowes or Home Depot - 100 flags/~ $10 dollars. They work very well while working on farms (fun), private property and city/state historical area marking during my historic artifact recovery business detecting. They provide excellent visibility, leave little to no footprint and looks very professional.

GL & HH

Doc

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Loco-Digger,

IMHO: I use the orange flags with thin metal wires bought from Lowes or Home Depot - 100 flags/~ $10 dollars. They work very well while working on farms (fun), private property and city/state historical area marking during my historic artifact recovery business detecting. They provide excellent visibility, leave little to no footprint and looks very professional.

GL & HH

Doc

I thought about those small flags doc but the tennis balls work well for me. At one site the grass was too tall for the balls so that's why I bought 6 of those yellow driveway markers. I bet it takes some time to place all those flags and to retrieve them.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
aren't we scientific?
I go on impulse

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
aren't we scientific?
I go on impulse

Hey Jeff G, I like to grid most sites so I know I swung my coil over ever spot possible, Of course I do go by gut feeling at times and others I roam around, but great producing sites always get gridded if possible.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
guess I am too much of a romantic for that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread