Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't know they existed until today, reviews are mixed to say the least.

I guess they come with a special "pen" that hs some kind of saline solution [supposedly good for 1,000's of tests], then it tells you if its gold and the karat.
Cheapest one is around $100 and all the way up to $500 - They even have one that hooks up to an iphone.

51wSfueZ6eL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/GemOro-AuRAC...008DID5Z8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Not at all confidant reading the reviews, seems to be mixed love/hate 50-50 - Anyone use one of these gadgets ?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xray, I have a electronic gold & platinum tester that I bought from GemOro. Runs on plug in or battery's. Will go from 9k on up. After start up, you need to calibrate it, but instructions are very clear. I don't often use it, only because I don't often find anything gold. It has come in handy, and no "scratch" test. Couple of years ago found an old ring, (small), with no marking at all, it tested out at 9k, which was common in England as 10k is here. All I can say is I like having it on hand. It did come with a small 24k disc to calibrate it with.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the biggest problem with those is that they are only testing the surface, so it cant tell you if the object is solid or plated. It could be 18K plated and unless you take a file to a section, you wont know.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the biggest problem with those is that they are only testing the surface, so it cant tell you if the object is solid or plated. It could be 18K plated and unless you take a file to a section, you wont know.

This can also be true, it did come with a small file just for that reason, although I'm loath to file into anything, everything is a judgement call, but again, it has come in handy on more then a few times. I think same would hold true on a "scratch" stone and acid. Wish I could say I've used it "Hundreds" of times, I'd be one happy detector guy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions