Root Slayer Nomad Shovel

Tangelone

Nov 30, 2017
Lakewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just getting into metal detecting and have been using a small version of a regular garden shovel. I'm looking around and wondering if anyone else has purchased this shovel and what your thoughts are on it. There are quite a few reviews on Amazon, particularly geared to metal detecting, despite the shovel being designed for gardening. I like the fact that it has a rounded end instead of the pointed end. I've found that on my pointed hand trowel, it's difficult to get dirt out of the hole and figure the rounded tip would make that easier to accomplish.
I don't want to spend $65-$150 for a shovel if I don't have too, especially if i can find something very close to or even better than the shovels on the market specifically designed for metal detecting. This one is $39.99 on Amazon. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any other cheaper alternatives that you like.
41IpbTiRwJL._SL1000_.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never used that one, but IMHO if you get addicted to Metal Detecting, your going to want a good shovel. That one to me looks pretty big and the handle isn't big enough. I use a Lesche Sampson. I believe I saw them on Amazon for about $65. Your going to hear some other examples of shovels here I'm sure. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Here's one.https://www.amazon.com/Lesche-Sampson-T-Handle-Detecting-Gardening/dp/B00BZWEKI0 Doesn't have serrated edge.

Serrated on one side is around $71.00

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Save your money and get a good one. Itā€™s about $100 for a good one thatā€™ll last for many years. Better gear is a better deal, in the long run. JMHO.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have many shovels however I like the size of this ones blade. Also less intimidating when detecting in public then a big shovel .

Itā€™s called the ground shark

C82F2309-1B40-4447-97AF-84AB7205E1EB.jpeg

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't look strong enough, T. Add the extra bucks n get something that'll last for years n take lotsa abuse. I got the 31" Sampson n I'm happy as a clam. I've chopped through 2" roots n pried with massive force n it just...works! I got the longer one cuz I prefer to b standing when I dig my plug...Less time down on 66-yr-old knees. šŸ˜

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

OP
OP
Tangelone

Tangelone

Nov 30, 2017
Lakewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look strong enough, T. Add the extra bucks n get something that'll last for years n take lotsa abuse. I got the 31" Sampson n I'm happy as a clam. I've chopped through 2" roots n pried with massive force n it just...works! I got the longer one cuz I prefer to b standing when I dig my plug...Less time down on 66-yr-old knees. [emoji16]

I think I will follow your advice. Iā€™d like a longer one too, is 31 inches long enough to keep you from being hunched over when your digging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use ā€œ HALF ā€œof a post hole digger . Itā€™s perfect for me ! Small hole and goes deep! Iā€™ve used the same shovel fore 30 years! Iā€™ve replaced the handle numerous times though! Mostly from prying......prying usually breaks the handle when your determined to exhume that pull tab ! It breaks!

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I will follow your advice. Iā€™d like a longer one too, is 31 inches long enough to keep you from being hunched over when your digging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No you still have to lean over with that. Not bad though.
The longest version of the ground shark is perfect but not good with roots. I've thought to get in touch with lesche to have a longer handle custom made on the Sampson but don't want no more shovels.
Another good point about the Sampson is it doesn't look intimidating to those that don't metal detect. Very discreet.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I have many shovels however I like the size of this ones blade. Also less intimidating when detecting in public then a big shovel .

Itā€™s called the ground shark

View attachment 1524297

Good point about the appearance. Tough to get permission to hunt a lawn when your shovel looks like you're about to do a major excavation. Sometimes less is better. I like to use a Hori tool and my "lucky" screwdriver (which I've lost twice in the last month already and wasted hours finding it again) when I'm in a park or public area. Very inconspicuous but very effective.
HH
dts

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good point about the appearance. Tough to get permission to hunt a lawn when your shovel looks like you're about to do a major excavation. Sometimes less is better. I like to use a Hori tool and my "lucky" screwdriver (which I've lost twice in the last month already and wasted hours finding it again) when I'm in a park or public area. Very inconspicuous but very effective.
HH
dts

I even put the lesche digger in my backpack when I'm done. Looks to much like a knife while in the sheath. Yesterday after work I stopped for a couple in the woods close to home. Came out at dark and was surrounded by Conservation Officers. My truck was reported to them and me as illegally hunting(no hunting in my town). Straightened that out quickly but if had that Hori or the Digger in the sheath. It might have scared them a bit. I always try to be as discreet as possible. I should also mention I use a Deus. It goes into the back pack to.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Right now I need a snow shovel, but have the Lesche Sampson - which I've used only once. That baby is annoying slapping on your leg while walking along swinging your coil. The Sampson is heavy duty - built for a lifetime.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HH
dts

I like this tool because of the surgical precision I can create a small deep plug with.

It cuts the soil like butter. I also like the rubber step behind the blade it protects your shoe.
I have had Shoes destroyed/cut as a result of wear and tear being placed in the exact place from too much pushing on the blade.

It also does not hurt the bottom of your foot after several hours of pushing on the blade

F42AE155-119A-465C-9FD2-18B9103FF503.jpeg

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dts brings up a good point too, T. Look into the Japanese hori knives. I got one off eBay n absolutely love it for working lawns. Sharp as hell, carries on my belt, n digs beautiful 6" plugs. If u go that route (mine was $24, btw), get a FULL tang version. Extremely sturdy.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E0FE1416-D1AE-47A3-8DA4-03B1A404D52C.jpeg

Here is a photo of a Hori Hori Knife

Amazon has them as well they start at $10 for the cheap ones but most of them average $25

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the Lesche Relic Hunter shovel. It has a T handle and is 38' in length. It is a well made shovel and the handle makes it comfortable to use. I personally don't think you could go wrong with a Lesche or Sampson shovel. As already said it would be best to purchase a better quality shovel in the long run. JMHO

Ben Had

Jan 16, 2018
ESVA
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
XP Deus WS6 Master
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one. I only use in when in the corn firelds. Itā€™s solid but you donā€™t wanna be walking around a park with it.��

Like most others here I also have 2 different lesches.

cutty

Sep 8, 2004
SE tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son just bought me one of these Predator Tools Ranger shovels with the D handle and let me tell you it is awesome! I was that old fart with the small garden shovel that would bend and crack and basically drive you crazy but I am too cheap! My grown son recently got back into detecting and got us each one of these babies! Worth the money for sure, immediatly threw the old one away! Thanks son. This is the one the Hoover Boys on youtube use. theran3_2048x2048.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread