Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, will be replacing my stock excal 2 curved shaft soon and seems the more I read the more confusing this is. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between an "over/under" shaft and a "straight shaft"? What length would be appropriate for a 5' 10" person? Recently got a chest harness for the excal electronics and battery pod, so I would just be using a shaft and coil both in the water{ chest deep} and some dry& wet sand out of the water but not sure what might be best for me. Will be using in both salt and fresh water so I'm leaning toward carbon fiber.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Word of advice, I would avoid using the chest harness to mount the controls, too many owners have had to send their detector in for shorts in the coils and headphone cables from mounting it off the shaft on the waist or chest. Most times the shorts are not right at the controls but up the cables and you will have to replace the coil and headphones, an expensive repair. Shorts are caused by the constant flexing of the cables as you sweep side to side.

If weight is an issue use a bungie that hooks to a chest harness and to your shaft just above the hand grip and keep the controls mounted on a shaft. Over under shaft has the control pod mounted below your elbow, the straight shaft behind your elbow.

Link to anderson straight shaft. https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/45-long-shaft-carbon-fiber-minelab-excalibur-ii

link to Anderson over under shaft. https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/36-over-under-travel-shaft-black-minelab-excalibur-ii

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the links and the advice. I did order a harness that has some sort of clip that takes the stress off the end of the electronics pod. As far as the headphones I'll see if I can rig up a zip tie or something to take the stress off of that. I'll also try the bunji idea. Haven't rec'd the harness in the mail yet but will give it a dry run in the basement first before I potentially wreck any wires. So back to the shafts, is it just a matter of personal preference? Does one balance better than the other?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just personal preference, the long shaft counter balances the coils better. Your hand acts like a fulcrum. I use a camelpak that has a loop on it that I attach my bungee to the shaft, so I have cold water with me all the time.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not like straight shafts. For me, they are a giant pain. I tried one on my Sand Shark, and on my Tiger Shark. Took both off after five hunts and sold them to another unsuspecting experimenter. :dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not like straight shafts. For me, they are a giant pain. I tried one on my Sand Shark, and on my Tiger Shark. Took both off after five hunts and sold them to another unsuspecting experimenter. :dontknow:

LOL, I have been using them for over 10 years, I want hunt with a stock shaft.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cat, dog, Chevy, Ford, Blonde, Brunette.. and the list goes on! :occasion14::skullflag:

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any opinions on pluggers 4 piece beach shaft kit? Seems to include enough attachments for any combination

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Redhead...who drives a Ford and likes GSDs. 😮

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only been beach detecting for about 3 months with my new Excal II. After the first 2 hunts with the stock S shaft, I was constantly changing arms, left, right left, right. After reading about the straight shaft on this forum, I went to my local marine supply store and bought 4' of 7/8" OD tube for $8 and made a straight shaft with controls behind. Now I can hunt for hours without changing arms. I would not put the S shaft back on.

Just my experience and 2 cents

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ended up getting the plugger 3 piece shaft. Can be used as a straight balanced shaft or a hip mount. Straight shaft is balanced very nicely {weight behind the elbow} and can detect for hours now without getting a sore back. Getting used to the extreme length will take a while though {vs the stock S shaft}

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to try the under the elbow for a while and see how I like it. Left the stick long so I can convert back to behind the elbow if I feel the need.

Attachments

• IMG_2382.JPG
    IMG_2382.JPG
    400.3 KB · Views: 78

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread