Looking for photography advice - a camera stand

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the "shakes", no need going there. It is becoming progressively worse.

I can't take pictures by hand without them being blurry. Normally I get my brother to take pictures of finds. But I do have 2 "microscope" mounted cameras for close pictures and can handle that.

I've been looking at camera stands. I have a Canon PowerShot SX110 IS, a pretty good camera wasted by my shakes.

I'd like a stand which I can mount over the subject of the photo, in order to produce nice crisp pictures. I don't see anything like that on Amazon.

Any advice out there other than Seppuku?

Last edited:

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the brightest lights you can. More light means faster shutter speed that will be faster than the shaking. Also, zooming in causes the aperture to get smaller, meaning you need more light or slower shutter speeds. Zoom out as much as you can stand and maybe crop a little afterwards. Zooming in magnifies shake also.

If you still want a stand or tripod, get one with a boom arm. Tripod will be more stable than a stand.

Also, set your self timer to 2 seconds or more. Once you focus and hit the button the camera/stand setup will have a few seconds to stop shaking on its own.

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the brightest lights you can. More light means faster shutter speed that will be faster than the shaking. Also, zooming in causes the aperture to get smaller, meaning you need more light or slower shutter speeds. Zoom out as much as you can stand and maybe crop a little afterwards. Zooming in magnifies shake also.

If you still want a stand or tripod, get one with a boom arm. Tripod will be more stable than a stand.

Also, set your self timer to 2 seconds or more. Once you focus and hit the button the camera/stand setup will have a few seconds to stop shaking on its own.

What FingerChili says. If your camera has a screw in tripod mount on the bottom. Might have to step up a bit to a camera that accepts tripod and remote shutter release. You may be able to jury-rig a clamp setup, and use the delay timer. Good luck.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try searching for “macro photography tripod” you should be able something that fits for you

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know how much you’re willing to spend but you need a tripod where the head extends out over the subject (at least how I understood your post).
This is spendy but will last forever. If your camera has a tripod adapter on the bottom of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073..._QL65&keywords=macro+photography+tripod&psc=1

That thing is really cool. If it wasnt so much, I'd buy one to take pics of my finds.

I have a question for DeepSeeker. Modern cameras can do great macro photos. Have you tried putting the base on something solid like a table and then angle it over the target? This way you aren't trying to hold the phone still.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am familiar with the Canon SX series cameras and the "IS" is Image Stabilization. That being said, I like you have a shake in my hands that IS can't fully compensate for and a tripod helps with that. FingerChili is right about brighter light, shutter speed, and a tripod. The camera should have the standard screw mount on the bottom. using a smaller tripod to take pictures and setting your timer will take away the shakes, setting up the shot with a steady platform helps and not zooming in will help too. For table-top, a mount that keeps you near your subject will work best. If you want a floor tripod that you can use other places and times, remember to set up for that. I have used the Joby Gorillapod Tripod and its' flexible mount systems works well and is not real expensive, plus, you can take it with you in the field, mount to a branch or pipe and take pics there too. www.bestbuy.com/site/joby-gorillapod-tripod-for-digital-cameras-and-camcorders

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a question for DeepSeeker. Modern cameras can do great macro photos. Have you tried putting the base on something solid like a table and then angle it over the target? This way you aren't trying to hold the phone still.

Just as I expected from the great members on TNet - lot's & lot's of good advice! Thank you all.

Jason, I've certainly tried bracing myself and the camera. Seems the more I try to control the shaking the more intensive they get. Kinda embarrassing, but otherwise does not negatively impact my life - just another case of "whatever".....

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A a former professional photographer I can tell you that you have some great recommendations.

If you are handy you can make your own and save some money

Here is an article
BC3442C2-548F-40EB-A98F-B566D599E0AF.jpeg
https://www.curbly.com/m/3907-how-to-make-a-diy-camera-stand

Here is a video showing how you can use a saw horse you may already have and save even more money.

A mini ball mount is all you truly need. They are pretty cheap on Amazon. Or EBay
Many different styles it’s up to you.

Here is a photo

97694B4F-CE1A-4292-AAE3-F8245A62F8A0.jpeg

Good luck friend and cheers

D878610F-2627-4940-84D2-6C24AAC376A3.jpeg

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In addition to waterscoop's post, I'd recommend building a tabletop seamless backdrop. It can be done for a few bucks with foam core and heavy white paper. Coins are just fine flat, and his copy stand would be great for that, but anything that stands up will be best shot on a seamless. Two lights are better than one, and find the highest CRI you can. (color rendering index)

simple_small_product_sweep_setup2.jpg

simple_small_product_sweep_sweep_vs_no_sweep2.jpg

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up an old photo enlarger from goodwill for 5 bucks and pulled the head off leaving the frame. It moves up and down to the height i need and i add lights on each side as needed.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread