For my first detector, should I get a...

CygnusX1

Jun 19, 2018
Covington, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll, Minelab Equinox 600 - Nokta Pinpointer, Xtreme scoop and handle.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Both are good machines!

IMO: Two of your three places involve water, perhaps the waterproof multi frequency NOX may be a better choice.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure a NOX or ATP. I used an ATP for 3 years in lakes and the gulf and never had issues. Those have seem to be going down in prices too.

Look forward to seeing some finds!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to this hobby and I am looking for an above average machine for my first detector. Should I get a Minelab Equinox 600 or the Nokta Impact? I am nainly searching parks, river bank swiming holes and the Gulf of Mexico beach. No diving for me!

Any input would be appreciated!

Apples and Oranges. The Equinox is the superior machine, as it is a Multi-frequency machine, withe single-frequency ability.:skullflag:

[h=3]Features of the Nokta Makro IMPACT:[/h]
  • Warranty : 2 Year Limited
  • Operating Frequency : 5kHz - 14kHz - 20kHz
  • Weight : 4 lbs (1.8 kgs) Including Search Coil and Batteries
  • Ground Balance with 3 Options : Automatic, Manual, Tracking
  • Iron Audio (Fe Vol) : Turns Off or Adjusts the Volume of the Low Iron Tone
  • Audio Tone : Changes the Frequency of Target and Threshold Tones (150Hz - 700Hz)
  • Tone Break : Adjusts the Break Points of the Target Response Tones on the Target ID Range
  • Extra Features at the Push of a Button : Audio Boost, ID Normalization, Target ID Depth Level
  • Notch Filter : Discriminates Single or Multiple Target IDs of Unwanted Metals by Silencing Them or Giving an Iron Tone
Minelab Equinox 600 Features:

• Total Weight : 2.96 lbs (1.34 kgs)
  • 3 Detecting Modes : Park, Beach and Field
  • Warranty : 3 Year Limited Detector, 1 Year Battery
  • Operating Frequencies : Multi, 5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz
  • Fast & Accurate Target ID : Fast Recovery Speed with Accurate Target ID
  • Simultaneous Multi-Frequency : For Maximum Performance, Plus a Wide Range of Single Frequencies
  • Sleek & Lightweight : Rugged and Lightweight Construction Allows you to Enjoy Long Detecting Sessions in Any Environment
  • Wireless Audio : Compatible with Ultra-Fast Wireless Audio with the WM 08, and Fast aptX™ Low Latency / Bluetooth Headphones
  • Waterproof Design : EQUINOX is Fully Submersible, Ideal for Detecting at the Beach and in Rivers, Streams and Lakes (3m / 10-feet)
  • 6 Custom Search Profiles : Each Detect Mode Features 2 Custom Search Profiles so you can Save your Favorite Settings in Each Mode

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread