Magnetic rake for beach use?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Oldrustystuff
  • 1 Post By mikebourgeois
  • 1 Post By alaskaseeker

Thread: Magnetic rake for beach use?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Jun 2018
    Victoria, BC
    White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
    157 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Magnetic rake for beach use?

I was watching a piece on youtube with regards to a giant rake/sifter set-up on a tractor that groomed the beach and penetrated the top 2 or 3 inches. It worked quite well and when the hopper is full you dump it and it's get all sorts of trash in it... what I'm curious about is could you make one... hand tool sized... a magnetic rake that would sweep through areas and perhaps snatch up a lot of the surface or almost surface trash that you'd run into so that you could focus on the deeper treasures?

I have an article from ways back (follow link)

https://books.google.ca/books?id=kN8...20rake&f=false

It looks like a pushbroom with nails and some sort of energy source hooked up that was used to collect spilt nails and the like. Does anyone think it could be updated and modified for a more purpose driven tool at the beach on sand? I'm not technically inclined but the idea does seem sound... I'm just not sure of how much of what you'd need to make it work and if it'd even be viable.

thanks

us
    I want all the gold!

Jul 2018
    Spokane WA
    Home made sluice running a 10" Dream Mat, Gold Cube, Blue Bowl.
    23 times
    Prospecting
    I like this idea.

Like magnet fishing for the sand.

Now I'm tempted to put a bunch of Neodymium magnets in a pvc tube to see what it cant suck out of the sand and how deep it could reach.
    mikebourgeois and davin like this.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2789 times
    Do a search here on TNet. A few years back I posted up pics & plans for what we called beach carts. They are the same principal as the sifter tractors. Another tools is a sand crab net. Google it to get some examples. If you have a welder, you can throw one together in an evening. If you're thinking wet sand don't bother unless you have calves like Charles Atlas! They are great for working the fire rings! Forget magnets! You'll spend more time cleaning magnetite that sifting! If you build one make absolute sure you've ground all welds smooth & bent all the pokies on your screen or expanded metal! Amazing how many little almost unnoticeable things will get you! Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction. No sense re-engineering something we engineered in the late 60s.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot.
    739 times
    Relic Hunting
    just google roofing tools magnetic and you can find what you want already built and ready to ship.

ca
    Jun 2018
    Victoria, BC
    157 times
    Found a supplier in Canada that I'm talking with now to see if their product will work reliably on sand.
    RustyGold likes this.

ca
    Jun 2018
    Victoria, BC
    157 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebourgeois View Post
    Found a supplier in Canada that I'm talking with now to see if their product will work reliably on sand.
    Update to my update...

Salesman said their product works great on flat roofs, grass and gravel... but buried in sand even an inch or so is too much for their setup. He suggested Rare Earth Magnet of larger size attached to hammer or axe haft to probe areas. Good advise even if I already knew that part. Oh well... I'll just do my digging and take what I gets.

us
    George

Jun 2019
    Ak,Tn
    Minelab, Fisher
    477 times
    Prospecting
    I had a rake that I had put round magnets with holes in them on the tines, worked quite well helping to eliminate surface junk in places you are hunting. I would layout an area and rake it pretty good.. Loaned it out a few years ago and it didn't come back.. I see now there's some super type magnets like that and I might get some and make another , these are stronger mags should do a lot better.....
    mikebourgeois likes this.

Sponsored Links