Easy Detector Strap for $2

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all. I swing Minelab's "boat anchor" FBS machines - the CTX-3030 and the E-Trac. More often than not, with large coils. I lack studly Popeye arms, and my stamina dips after a few hours with these beasts. I wanted to find a way to make the swinging easier and not spend a lot of $$$$ on a "professional" detecting harness. With a little crafting, I came up with a simple spring design that connects the detector to any backpack or hydration pack with a "D" loop. It takes about 10 minutes to assemble, and the cost-per-strap comes out to less than $2. I believe this will work for any model of machine, though I have only tried it on the two I own. I have clipped it to a hiking pack, a Camelbak, and a posture device and all three work in distributing the weight from my arms through my back and shoulders. Now I can go all day! Please let me know what y'all think.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea. You got me thinking...wonder if a guitar strap could be also be adapted as well.
I'm in SW Missouri. Hoping to find some CW artifacts.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
very nice Brian..........but you did'nt say where people can obtain all this ? i would get real frustrated if i cant get it all at one spot ? driving around for hours going here and then there ? and spending how much in gas. then whats the total going to be ?..............to just by one online hmm ? thanks

OP
OP
MidMoTreasure

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea. You got me thinking...wonder if a guitar strap could be also be adapted as well.
I'm in SW Missouri. Hoping to find some CW artifacts.

Thanks! I would think you would want a little elastic "give" in the strap while you swing it. A guitar strap would work in principle, but would not give you the bounce of elastic or a bungee. I haven't tried a rigid strap, but I would think it would hurt you on the backswings. SW MO is a hot spot! Lots of Confederate stuff in that area. I have never been, I am in Central MO about 2-3 hours away from the honey holes of SW MO. Good hunting!

very nice Brian..........but you did'nt say where people can obtain all this ? i would get real frustrated if i cant get it all at one spot ? driving around for hours going here and then there ? and spending how much in gas. then whats the total going to be ?..............to just by one online hmm ? thanks

Sorry about that! I ordered all of my material online from one site (the site that has the same name as a river and rain forest). But you could also find all of the materials at a craft/fabric place I suppose. I prefer the Interwebs and their easy, two-day shipping. You really only need the webbing, elastic, tri-glides, and plastic clips. The D lops are optional in case you need to sew a D loop onto a backpack device.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you mean about the give factor.
I was surprised to discover I was living in a hotbed of CW history and did not know it for years. Good luck!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Straps? Check out Good Will. They got a cute trick here. All the packs satchels & camera cases are in one area, And you'll notice not a one has a strap. If you go in the back opposite corner there they are with a couple buck price tag on them. Clips D rings & clips? Check out your local military surplus store. One of them by me has tons stuff & nylon straps & paracord in tons of colors & sizes. Cheap too! They're getting used to me running in like a bat outta hell to grab clips for a last minute repair or project. If you're desperate Ace Hardware carries some of the stuff, but I'd only pay their prices if I was real desparate. Oh yeah, don't be afraid to ask for things you don't see at the surplus stores!! Nine times out of ten they "Got it in the back somewhere" And you'll end up with a bunch of the didn't know you needed stuff. Best tip for you. Make friends with the owner & sales people If they like you, they'll hide goodies they think you'll be interested in or sell you something they're holding for someone they really don't care about. Straps from GW, sail makers needles from wally World & you can make almost anything you need for a fraction of the cost & It's custom made the way you want it!

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
very nice Brian..........but you did'nt say where people can obtain all this ? i would get real frustrated if i cant get it all at one spot ? driving around for hours going here and then there ? and spending how much in gas. then whats the total going to be ?.............. ooops !

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the strap off my 4' foot level. Having the Big Nel Coil I can say it will wear you out quick. But I just suck it up. But good video in all.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've used my weed eater strap and it wooks great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions