Ditching my Lesche for a $6 Digger?

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, $5.67 to be exact. Got this bargain at my local grocery store. Stanley Fatmax. They had a few in stock. Probably a discontinued model. A little bit bigger and heavier than the Lesche, and the gauge is slightly thicker. Not sure how I will like the split tip, but I do like the longer blade and handle. Even if I just keep it as a backup, you can't beat the price.

fatmax1.JPG Fatmax2.jpg Fatmax3.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let us know how it works out for you!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have broken soooo many diggers Ive had my leshe for 2 years ill never buy any other trust me on this

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used a cutoff blade to get rid of the split tip on my digger and it works great.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I have one broken lesche. That looks like a great deal.

OP
OP
mrwilburino

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, not a fan of the split tip. Just makes it harder to drive it into the ground. Pretty rugged otherwise & digs a nice, deep plug, but going to have to grind that tip down or save it for softer ground.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As it has been said a couple times here, that fork end is not compatible with most digging a severe point mod is in order I would think for you.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm willing to bet that this would break long before that lesche.

OP
OP
mrwilburino

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why? Quality of the steel or something?

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a capable digger to me. Hobbyist tend to gravitate to brand name accessories approved by the majority of other practitioners of that specific hobby. This approval originates from clever marketing ploys developed by companies to increase their profits at the expense of herd mentality hobbyist.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why? Quality of the steel or something?

yeah steel quality and proper tempering can not be done for that price. I am the destroyer of all shovels. Rocks, clay, roots, and so forth. I have purchased several(4-5) similar low price items of different manufacturers and all have failed. My lesche and whites hand diggers are the only ones that have lasted. Most break right where it joins with the handle, a few have snapped off the tips, None held an edge or any sort. Also have tried the same for larger shovels. The lesche and predator are the last ones standing. I destroyed several hardware store brands and the whites ground hawg for larger shovels.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I have had the lesche for 12 years. It still is solid. The metal in it is quality metal. The metal in this one looks like it would be ok for light duty. Prying up things or heavy duty work, better use a lesche.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Lesche uses the best steel money can buy. You get what you pay for.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steel quality is not always visually obvious. I got a cheap new hammer at a farm auction once, from a new box of hammers, passed out to folks for $1 each. Looked a bit crude, but hey, $1? I hit one nail with that hammer and the head exploded. No more Chinese steel for me.

RichieSoprano

Jun 3, 2019
Maine, formerly NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot Bedliner on DD Coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a similar one from Fiskars. Blade detached from handle so I got a free replacement from the store. Had a buddy weld one blade layered to the other, got rid of the cheap plastic handle and underneath was a lame handle if you could even call it that. He then welded about 8 inches of 1 inch pipe to the mini footrest, so added a pic tee for a top handle for comfort. Then I ground off the double tip forming a slight point
Cut notches BOTH siDrs. Looks like Mad Max. And cuts plugs almost as good as a full sized shovel. If O could post pics you cannot believe how thick the blade is. I put all 210 pounds of me on it to test a pop on a plug. It LAUGHED at my weight. And now....I am gonna make a shovel...an EVIL shovel.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned several times above the split end was the killer for me. Even in the playground chips it would fail. It does have a very good handle but I just got a mtn bike handlebar grip and replaced my lesche's grip and now it works great. I have the whites as back up.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a similar one from Fiskars. Blade detached from handle so I got a free replacement from the store. Had a buddy weld one blade layered to the other, got rid of the cheap plastic handle and underneath was a lame handle if you could even call it that. He then welded about 8 inches of 1 inch pipe to the mini footrest, so added a pic tee for a top handle for comfort. Then I ground off the double tip forming a slight point
Cut notches BOTH siDrs. Looks like Mad Max. And cuts plugs almost as good as a full sized shovel. If O could post pics you cannot believe how thick the blade is. I put all 210 pounds of me on it to test a pop on a plug. It LAUGHED at my weight. And now....I am gonna make a shovel...an EVIL shovel.

I had one of those Fiskars a while back. Tip snapped in no time at all......junk

RichieSoprano

Jun 3, 2019
Maine, formerly NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot Bedliner on DD Coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had one of those Fiskars a while back. Tip snapped in no time at all......junk
Yes. It WAS junk until I layered the blades together and added the galvanized steel handle with the cpvc top. Like a completely different animal. I seriously believe I could now pry a door on a car open with it. And since I sharpened and serrated both sides it cuts a plug pronto! If you or anyone likes pm me. I will text you pics as I don't know how to post them. You could in turn post them. Thanks, Rich

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah steel quality and proper tempering can not be done for that price. I am the destroyer of all shovels. Rocks, clay, roots, and so forth. I have purchased several(4-5) similar low price items of different manufacturers and all have failed. My lesche and whites hand diggers are the only ones that have lasted. Most break right where it joins with the handle, a few have snapped off the tips, None held an edge or any sort. Also have tried the same for larger shovels. The lesche and predator are the last ones standing. I destroyed several hardware store brands and the whites ground hawg for larger shovels.

Although I do agree with you, he got it from marcs. Marcs sometimes sells things dirt cheap, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was somewhat good quality.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions