Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had my Lesche shovel stolen out of my truck when I was at the store on christmas eve.

Man was I pissed.

Anyway I decided to make my own out of a Tractor Supply Mini Shovel and used a cutting wheel, grinding wheel and round file to
Make this… Not bad for $14 and a lil labor in the shop.

The best thing is... I like this one better than my stolen Lesche!

Attachments

• resized.jpg
    resized.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 414
  • Mini Shovel.PNG
    Mini Shovel.PNG
    28.1 KB · Views: 241

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Man that looks good; please come back and tell us how good it was when you find the fella who stole your last one.

But hey, bright side, at least he will have something to dig his own grave with.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job on the modification! :occasion14: Perhaps a new business venture for you? :dontknow:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry about your Lesche being stolen out of your truck, but you did a great job on this shovel. That thing looks like it would slice through the nastiest of roots and even Thugs jugular veins. I can't stand a low down Thief n Thug.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now YOU have the better shovel. You did a great job on the newly designed old shovel. I’d rather have the one you made. Congratulations on on great job.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People just don't respect other people's property. Trust me, ''karma'' will be revenged. You sure did a swell job of making your own digger, and it will most likely mean more to you than the Lesche.

Okdirtfisher64

Dec 22, 2018
Tulsa,Ok
Detector(s) used
F75+ fisher 11”,5” dd coils
F pulse pin pointer
Black widow headphones
Predator 31c raptor hand digger,
Whites mxt e-tracker stock 9” ,4x6,coil
Garrett AT Pro,ground shrark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as a fabrication man I can truly appreciate that!!!
So much so I made my template This past Friday and next week on breaks will be working on a digger!!!

Okdirtfisher64

Dec 22, 2018
Tulsa,Ok
Detector(s) used
F pulse pin pointer
Black widow headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
59BB9B44-07B9-4BE8-9F10-E2A44E842697.jpeg 59BB9B44-07B9-4BE8-9F10-E2A44E842697.jpeg keep it a little wider than you did and used .060 cut off wheel for the teeth plan on rolling it in some for smaller plug

I don’t know why 2 pics posted

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer looking shovel. Great job.

Hunty22

Greenie
Mar 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh bummer, that's a great looking shovel they stole. Better install some truck accessories that serves as a good place to store your shovel. Maybe an under-seat storage like this will do?

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to try to make a shovel, not as talented as you guys.
Would someone be kind enough to post a template.
Thanks.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice video Hunty22, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently took an old square bladed shovel and modded it to look like a typical metal-detecting shovel. Gotta put it into my metal recycling bin now, as the removal of the metal destroyed the rigidity of the blade. The blade now flexes and bends, and makes it useless for any type of digging.

How did the removal of metal work out for the Tractor Supply Mini? Is it still rigid enough to dig with, or does it now flex?

Okdirtfisher64

Dec 22, 2018
Tulsa,Ok
Detector(s) used
F pulse pin pointer
Black widow headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I of course can’t answer for relicgrubber However from the pics looks like his shovel has a spine that is 4 1/2” from the base of the shaft into the head as is the shovel I moded.That is just a fraction under 1/2 of the shovel head which leaves it quite rigid agian I can’t answer for relicgrubber but I also rolled mine in.I just purchased 3 more to do the mode on for some buddies each one of em on his own could destroy a wrecking ball so I'll soon find out.

OP
OP
Relicgrubber

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently took an old square bladed shovel and modded it to look like a typical metal-detecting shovel. Gotta put it into my metal recycling bin now, as the removal of the metal destroyed the rigidity of the blade. The blade now flexes and bends, and makes it useless for any type of digging.

How did the removal of metal work out for the Tractor Supply Mini? Is it still rigid enough to dig with, or does it now flex?

Like dirtfisher said, I basically only removed about an inch worth of steel on both the sides and the tip. Its a solid build and has not failed yet and doubt that it ever will...

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like dirtfisher said, I basically only removed about an inch worth of steel on both the sides and the tip. Its a solid build and has not failed yet and doubt that it ever will...

Thanks! I'll have to pick one up and grind away.

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My local discount grocer has a closeout section, and they had 26” shovels with steel sleeves over wood handles for $3.99 each. On the other side of the aisle they had the identical shovel with Black & Decker on it, and they wante $4.87 for the name...I bought two of the cheaper ones, and made one 4” wide and the other one 5” wide. Then yesterday I took some Cordura nylon fabric and made covers with Velcro straps to hold them on the shovels. The 4” was too narrow, which is why I made the 5” one.

681178CD-746D-42D5-89F9-ACA01F2E076D.jpeg

EF6A2B12-618E-47A4-BD56-7B8A68367661.jpeg

The cover keeps the sharp edges from damaging anything in the van, and keeps the shovel from scratching the side wall where it hangs in the truck.

87C4237E-DF81-4696-BAF2-62853A24739D.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread