Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Detecting clothing

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2006
    Mass
    ORX
    94 times

Detecting clothing

Anyone wearing anything special for detecting pants? Spending more time in the woods and always got ticks on my radar. Hard to spot wearing blue jeans. Been checking out lighter color hunting/upland pants with the added benefits of being durable, breathable and waterproof. Pricey but maybe worth it.
    Last edited by berkshire mike; Feb 04, 2019 at 07:43 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7950 times
    The Truth
    Go to a thrift store,goodwill store and buy white jeans,who cares if the size is a little off,theyre work pants.why spend the bucks on clothes youre going to beat up.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    20325 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (7)
    Detecting clothing? Yes, I wear clothing while detecting. I have two pair of tan heavy twill khaki pants and whatever shirt I just wear at the time. I don't own any camo, but 1 hat I can't seem to find at this time.

I hate ticks! Had two bites this year. Nothing bad happened. Best thing is to wear a repellent and check extremely carefully when you get home.
    Kray Gelder and devldog like this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    5549 times
    Metal Detecting
    I don't walk in the woods or fields here in summer. Only winter, and then really hose my pants down with Deet. I spray my waste, the skin and clothing, and then the rest of me as well. There are really tiny ticks here, that you wouldn't see no matter the color of fabric. I know, I've had them all over me before. I've had the larger ticks, have had them attach several times, and got sick as heck once. It's a calculated risk. Summer is off limits because of the chiggers. They are the worst!

Wear what's comfortable, and what you can get dirty. Save your money.

I once invited a guy I worked with to go salmon fishing with me. He showed up in at least a few hundred dollars worth of Cabela's "fishing" clothing. Zip off pant legs, Gore Tex, ventilated solar neon blue shirt with zip open arm pits, ventilated cape back, long billed hat, a very colorful jacket, etc. I showed him how to bevel cut the heads off of the herring. I was happy to see some fish blood on those pants.
    devldog, sprailroad and RustyGold like this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO,
    3106 times
    Relic Hunting
    I agree wholeheartedly. Ticks and No shoulders are no friends of Georgia Relic Hunters in the summer season, as well as extreme heat and humidity. Most of our hunting in the woods here is done during the winter months.

Charter Member
    us
    Roger

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    11112 times
    Hip boots & Deet Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	1677752
    devldog and Kray Gelder like this.

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2924 times
    Anymore, summer months I pretty much stick to parks in early morning hours. Woods, tall grass fields? early spring, more so Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb. Ticks, fleas, poison Oak/Ivy, snakes etc. I'm more of a sissy now, and I'm OK with that. I like it.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600, Tesoro Compadre 720i Stealth Scoop
    6680 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    My new hunting pants are Taclite Pro Pants by 5.11. Very comfortable. You can get them at the 5.11 web site or amazon.com.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA0B09EF-9A4A-4144-B7C7-779A140D04B1.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	1677803
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7E84335C-4F81-471C-8721-5484A26EBE89.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	1677804
    Kray Gelder, Ogre1190 and devldog like this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

um
    Jan 2019
    West Virginia
    Equinox 800
    14 times
    I have these Duluth pants with knee pads built in that work very good
    Pants https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-d...ducts_Slot5Bot

Also does anybody know of good quality kneepad to use with jeans too ?

Thanks
    Scott B
    TTACH=CONFIG]1684118[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    RustyGold likes this.

Jul 2005
    Iowa
    White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT Fisher 1280x
    109 times
    Bought me a pair of these especially for detecting.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mascot.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	1694982Mascot "Almada" Craftsmen's Trousers.(Look up Mascot Workwear).Pockets for goodies,trash,pp,etc. and D ring for pp bungee . The knee pad pockets are large enough to accomodate my Ergodyne knee pads. Great fit,65% poly-35% cotton and very comfortable.Prices vary around the internet,got mine from Amazon for $55.00
    Deep1 likes this.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2708 times
    I'm really disappointed!! Saw your title and thought I was going to see a real good tutorial on what coil to use and how to set up my detector to find new clothes out in the boonies........... All I got was a mensware catalog........
    gunsil likes this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

us
    Mar 2017
    Northern NY, USA
    Minelab Equinox 800, HF 9-Function md, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
    126 times
    For larger ticks it helps to tuck one's pants inside your socks to mostly seal up that area of entry.
    Using my Harbor Freight metal detector I found a cache of coins in a couple of spots situated within a few feet of each other.
    I ended up with 27 Walking Liberty half dollar coins, 97 Mercury dimes, 1 Morgan dollar, 1 Barber Half Dollar, 3 Liberty Head nickels, 1 Buffalo nickel, 15 mixed pennies (steel,& wheat), 2 flattened pennies with religious messages, and other silver US quarters and dimes, and 8 foreign coins. Detector has paid for itself

Just received a Minelab Equinox 800

us
    Deep1

Dec 2018
    Carolina Lowcountry
    Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
    402 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterbug View Post
    Bought me a pair of these especially for detecting.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mascot.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	1694982Mascot "Almada" Craftsmen's Trousers.(Look up Mascot Workwear).Pockets for goodies,trash,pp,etc. and D ring for pp bungee . The knee pad pockets are large enough to accomodate my Ergodyne knee pads. Great fit,65% poly-35% cotton and very comfortable.Prices vary around the internet,got mine from Amazon for $55.00
    Like these.
    Looking for my size now.
    Goodbye, molle belt.
    Thanks.
    If it's old, I'll dig it, dive on it, detect it or sometimes when I get lucky just bend over and pick it up.

Apr 2019
    North Wales, UK
    Macro Racer 2
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by baddley View Post
    I have these Duluth pants with knee pads built in that work very good

Also does anybody know of good quality kneepad to use with jeans too ?

Thanks
    Scott B

I like the builders style pants also...I use some by Dickies which have cordora faced pockets on the knees for built in knee pads...One thing I have done though is removed the "elephant ear" pockets that hang on the waist...

In winter I wear a pair of bib n brace style waterproofs over them which keeps the worst of the mud at bay..

With regards knee pads, have a look at the military surplus Blackhawk ones...they are about the best I have tried but still no where near as comfortable as pants with built in knee pads especially in the warmer weather...
    Last edited by Pete E; Apr 19, 2019 at 05:37 PM.

Jul 2005
    Iowa
    White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT Fisher 1280x
    109 times
    Here is the size chart web site for Mascot:https://www.mascotworkwear.com/en/size-chart
    Deep1 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links