Did I make the right decision?

Feb 8, 2019
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,

I am new to the forums and metal detecting.

About three months ago, on a whim, because it was a shiny new object, and my A.D.D. needed a new obsession to hyper-focus on, I bought the Harbor Freight 9 Function detector. I already had the HF pinpointer for woodworking, but I took it and modified it to put in a vibrating motor and some of the other mods I had seen online. I started in my front and backyard (my wife is a saint) and got to know the HF machine. It did fine and I felt I quickly got to know its personality. The pinpointer worked, but the common button issue happened and it wasn't holding up. The detector was pretty awkward to use, ergonomically. I though about modifying it, but that would be another rabbit hole I'd probably never come out of.

Instead, I did some research and decided on the Teknetics Delta 4000 for a good beginner machine. I ordered it on Amazon for $215 after taxes and a day before it came, I found someone selling a Minelab 705 in near mint condition with Koss headphones, the Minelab digging tool, the 9" 7.5kz concentric, the 5x10 DD 18.75kz coil, and the minelab carrying bag for $350. So, I decided to get it because of everything I have read about it and the amazing reviews. I also upgraded to the Garrett Pro pinpointer (the price is a hard pill to swallow, but that really is an amazing tool). So I now have the that, HF 9 Func, the Delta 4000, and the Minelab 705 Gold Pack + extras. I have really used the Teknetics yet and a buddy of mine used it and offered to buy it for what I paid. I am definitely not keeping all three.

The Minelab bundle for $350 seemed like a good deal and I felt that if I didn't take to it, I could always sell it for near that if not more than that. I was aware there would be a learning curve but figured I could grow in to it more than the Delta 4000. I've already read the manual 10 times and the Randy Horton guide a few times. I understand it all, but am finding when tinkering with it, putting the concepts in to practice is obviously a different beast. I have been going out in various areas for 3-4 hours a day before/after work to practice (with the Minelab). It seems awesome, but it has frustrated me a lot more than the HF one did. Trashy areas, figuring out if I should dig, just digging everything, etc. I found a lot more coins/etc with the HF. And I went with my buddy, who borrowed the HF and had never detected before, and he found much more on the same field than I did with the Minelab. I've spent a week or so using the different coils, tinkering with settings and it is making more sense, but in "trashier" areas, it beeps like 15 smoke detectors all needing a new battery at once.

So, did I make the right decision on going with the Minelab and returning/selling the Delta 4000 at this point? Was the Minelab deal too good to pass up? If you were a beginner, would you sell/return the Delta 4000 and keep the Minelab and go through the learning curve? Am I setting myself up for failure?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

EiD

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What coil are you using and what freq?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I am new to the forums and metal detecting...
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard EiD! Take a look at Forum: Texas for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,

I am new to the forums and metal detecting.

About three months ago, on a whim, because it was a shiny new object, and my A.D.D. needed a new obsession to hyper-focus on, I bought the Harbor Freight 9 Function detector. I already had the HF pinpointer for woodworking, but I took it and modified it to put in a vibrating motor and some of the other mods I had seen online. I started in my front and backyard (my wife is a saint) and got to know the HF machine. It did fine and I felt I quickly got to know its personality. The pinpointer worked, but the common button issue happened and it wasn't holding up. The detector was pretty awkward to use, ergonomically. I though about modifying it, but that would be another rabbit hole I'd probably never come out of.

Instead, I did some research and decided on the Teknetics Delta 4000 for a good beginner machine. I ordered it on Amazon for $215 after taxes and a day before it came, I found someone selling a Minelab 705 in near mint condition with Koss headphones, the Minelab digging tool, the 9" 7.5kz concentric, the 5x10 DD 18.75kz coil, and the minelab carrying bag for $350. So, I decided to get it because of everything I have read about it and the amazing reviews. I also upgraded to the Garrett Pro pinpointer (the price is a hard pill to swallow, but that really is an amazing tool). So I now have the that, HF 9 Func, the Delta 4000, and the Minelab 705 Gold Pack + extras. I have really used the Teknetics yet and a buddy of mine used it and offered to buy it for what I paid. I am definitely not keeping all three.

The Minelab bundle for $350 seemed like a good deal and I felt that if I didn't take to it, I could always sell it for near that if not more than that. I was aware there would be a learning curve but figured I could grow in to it more than the Delta 4000. I've already read the manual 10 times and the Randy Horton guide a few times. I understand it all, but am finding when tinkering with it, putting the concepts in to practice is obviously a different beast. I have been going out in various areas for 3-4 hours a day before/after work to practice (with the Minelab). It seems awesome, but it has frustrated me a lot more than the HF one did. Trashy areas, figuring out if I should dig, just digging everything, etc. I found a lot more coins/etc with the HF. And I went with my buddy, who borrowed the HF and had never detected before, and he found much more on the same field than I did with the Minelab. I've spent a week or so using the different coils, tinkering with settings and it is making more sense, but in "trashier" areas, it beeps like 15 smoke detectors all needing a new battery at once.

So, did I make the right decision on going with the Minelab and returning/selling the Delta 4000 at this point? Was the Minelab deal too good to pass up? If you were a beginner, would you sell/return the Delta 4000 and keep the Minelab and go through the learning curve? Am I setting myself up for failure?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

EiD

To start the X TERRA 705 is a fantastic machine I have been using one since 2009 or 2010 and like you there were times I wanted to wrap the 705 around a tree it was that frustrating there is a pretty big learning curve to it,in my opinion though it is the most under rated detector to have ever been produced the price you paid for it is pretty good with the extras you got with it as the coils are not cheap,in my opinion you have not given it enough time to really learn what the 705 is actually capable of and have not had enough time of use to understand the 705s language it took me 2-2 1/2 years to actually get a true understanding of the 705 I simply refused to let the 705 beat me and once the light bulb turned on in my head to the 705s language it was like a love affair the 705 is the one detector they will have to pry from my cold dead hands when my time has ended.

the one thing I got from your post when you stated in trashy areas the 705 was going off like five smoke detectors, if you still have it set for 99 tones go into the settings and switch from the 99 tones to the two or four tone setting and I think by doing that it will be a much more pleasant hunt for you that 99 tones always drove me nuts in my opinion the 99 tone setting is way to much info overload,in my opinion you need to give the 705 more time and really learn it and I believe once you have learned it you will not feel you need to upgrade to something better.

hope this helps you and you become more relaxed with the 705

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread