Sharpen the Lesche?

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got my brand new Lesche digging tool and was a bit surprised that it was fairly dull...or at least not as sharp as I thought it would be. I know that some people take a file to their shovels, so I figured having an actual cutting edge was preferred on digging tools. But is this also true for Lesche hand diggers?

In other words, do any of you sharpen the edges of your Lesche diggers and if so, to what extent to you sharpen them, i.e. razor sharp or maybe just butter knife sharp?

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just put a rough working edge on mine with a file. Sharp, but not razor-sharp. I don't think it would stay sharp for very long if you put a really fine edge on it. I also touch up the serrations a bit, too. Really heps when cutting roots.

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just put a rough working edge on mine with a file. Sharp, but not razor-sharp. I don't think it would stay sharp for very long if you put a really fine edge on it. I also touch up the serrations a bit, too. Really heps when cutting roots.

Thanks for you input. Sounds like you bring it to a butter-knife type of edge, then?

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve gone through a few Lesche’s over the years. Personally, I’ve never had the need to sharpen one as I have found that they work just fine as is. I also buy the left handed model because I cut plugs in a clockwise motion and use the serrated edge to cut.

If you do sharpen yours, depending on the ground that you are digging in, I think you’ll be sharpening it fairly often to keep an edge. Mine get worn down enough shoving them into the ground so I want to keep as much material on the blade as I can. Taking metal off would just decrease the life of the tool. Here is one that I retired after a bit of use.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1556231068.568640.jpg

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha, that's so adorable! A mini-Lesche!

Thanks for your input.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have mine sharpened at a local metal shop at the start of each season. Cuts through roots like butter!:occasion14:

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on the ground I'm diggin.
At this point I have 8 diggin tools, each for a different ground condition.
I have diggers for field, forest, oyster shell, rock, parks, beach, big holes and little holes.
As for your Lestche.
For soft, clean soil like yards and parks, I like it as sharp as possible, it is not only easier the cut thru grass roots, as Terry said, you do less damage to the root system by making cleaner cuts on the roots. Allowing the grass to recover better.
You can use a file to sharpen if you are skilled in that and have the patience or if you have access to a bench grinder you can DIY, just be careful or it will look like SJ's before you even dig a hole. If is best to have it first sharpened by a tool sharpening service or a machine shop. After that you can keep it sharp with a file or have it sharpened yearly.
If I'm diggin in oysters, rock or hard clay there's not much need to sharpen other than the point.

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It depends on the ground I'm diggin.
At this point I have 8 diggin tools, each for a different ground condition.
I have diggers for field, forest, oyster shell, rock, parks, beach, big holes and little holes.
As for your Lestche.
For soft, clean soil like yards and parks, I like it as sharp as possible, it is not only easier the cut thru grass roots, as Terry said, you do less damage to the root system by making cleaner cuts on the roots. Allowing the grass to recover better.
You can use a file to sharpen if you are skilled in that and have the patience or if you have access to a bench grinder you can DIY, just be careful or it will look like SJ's before you even dig a hole. If is best to have it first sharpened by a tool sharpening service or a machine shop. After that you can keep it sharp with a file or have it sharpened yearly.
If I'm diggin in oysters, rock or hard clay there's not much need to sharpen other than the point.

That's the current intended use, although who knows where I'll be hunting in the future.

Thanks for your advice!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a single-cut mill ******* file to sharpen my Lesche in the spring. Not knife or even ax sharp - but I dress the edge for better root and sod cutting.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Lesche is overrated myself, I use a Kellyco Gator thicker stock and more narrow than the Lesche. I have a small belt sander that keeps the edge nice and sharp and works MUCH better than a hard wheel grinder. Terry, if you need a touch up let me know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread