Okay guys I need to go deeper.

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Garrett GTA x 1250 with crossfire II coil. According to my test garden it is pretty dependable at 6in or less. Six to 9in it becomes “dodgy” 9 plus just forget it. Without buying a whole new stick... can I up grade (would it help) the coil for this unit? If so.. which one? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Oregon_Digger

May 11, 2019
Lane County, Oregon
Detector(s) used
MX Sport -
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too have recently been on the hunt for deeper techniques. Ive had luck the last couple weeks running zero discrimination. The soil here in the pacific nw is a depth killer in places. I just run my machine high sensitivity with zero discrimination and just ignore the low tones if I don’t wanna dig em. I think kinda the general rule is less discrimination more depth. I’m new too so if this doesn’t apply to your machine I hope someone else chimes in with some advice. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Hughett

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I messed with the setting will hunting but I was not sure if it helped. I need to work the test garden to see what happens.
I feel I’m missing the older coins.

halfstep

May 11, 2010
Going to a bigger may not help you much. If the ground is fairly mineralized, a bigger coil has more harsh ground to see thru and this can reduce the depth enough that it may not gain you much of an improvement over a smaller coil. Make sure ground balance in the harsh ground so your detector can compensate for it. This helps with the depth as much as anything.

OP
OP
Hughett

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I will look into that. I’m not real sure how to balance to ground conditions.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
You probably know this already, but all signals degrade after so many inches on any detector. The key is to learn what the detector is telling you at depth. If you are getting any signals past 6 inches, learn those characteristics of the objects that you are getting the deep signals on. If you aren't getting anything real deep, try adjusting until you do, or try to find another detector that is easier to adjust and hit those deep targets.

Deep is where the goodies are as you aware. So If you can't get your detector to hit those deep targets routinely without some adjustments, it might be time to move on to one that will. As far as recommending something different, you have probably read what goes deep and what finds the good stuff. I am not starting that debate, because you will get White's guys, Garrett guys, Minelab, etc. Say what they use is the best. Watch YouTube videos on different ones and whichever one you like the best in terms of features as well as getting to the good stuff, that is the one you should get.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Hopefully you can adjust the one you have tp hit those deep targets.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fought the battle of better ID at depth with my M6 for a while. 6-8 inches and beyond everything sounds like iron. Have a hoard of coils for it, and none seemed to really make a huge difference in accurate ID at depth. Finally broke down and bought an Etrac lol.

OP
OP
Hughett

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I’ll try adjusting and practicing before I move forward.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread