Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Oregon_Digger
  • 1 Post By halfstep
  • 1 Post By marjam
  • 1 Post By DiamondDan

Thread: Okay guys I need to go deeper.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2019
    Northwest GA
    Garrett gta x 1250
    673 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Okay guys I need to go deeper.

I have a Garrett GTA x 1250 with crossfire II coil. According to my test garden it is pretty dependable at 6in or less. Six to 9in it becomes “dodgy” 9 plus just forget it. Without buying a whole new stick... can I up grade (would it help) the coil for this unit? If so.. which one? Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Hughett; May 20, 2019 at 10:03 PM.

us
    May 2019
    Lane County, Oregon
    MX Sport - Pro Pointer AT
    127 times
    Metal Detecting
    I too have recently been on the hunt for deeper techniques. Ive had luck the last couple weeks running zero discrimination. The soil here in the pacific nw is a depth killer in places. I just run my machine high sensitivity with zero discrimination and just ignore the low tones if I don’t wanna dig em. I think kinda the general rule is less discrimination more depth. I’m new too so if this doesn’t apply to your machine I hope someone else chimes in with some advice.
    Icewing and Hughett like this.

us
    May 2019
    Northwest GA
    Garrett gta x 1250
    673 times
    I messed with the setting will hunting but I was not sure if it helped. I need to work the test garden to see what happens.
    I feel I’m missing the older coins.

us
    May 2010
    46 times
    Going to a bigger may not help you much. If the ground is fairly mineralized, a bigger coil has more harsh ground to see thru and this can reduce the depth enough that it may not gain you much of an improvement over a smaller coil. Make sure ground balance in the harsh ground so your detector can compensate for it. This helps with the depth as much as anything.
    Hughett likes this.

us
    May 2019
    Northwest GA
    Garrett gta x 1250
    673 times
    Thanks. I will look into that. I’m not real sure how to balance to ground conditions.

Nov 2012
    279 times
    You probably know this already, but all signals degrade after so many inches on any detector. The key is to learn what the detector is telling you at depth. If you are getting any signals past 6 inches, learn those characteristics of the objects that you are getting the deep signals on. If you aren't getting anything real deep, try adjusting until you do, or try to find another detector that is easier to adjust and hit those deep targets.

Deep is where the goodies are as you aware. So If you can't get your detector to hit those deep targets routinely without some adjustments, it might be time to move on to one that will. As far as recommending something different, you have probably read what goes deep and what finds the good stuff. I am not starting that debate, because you will get White's guys, Garrett guys, Minelab, etc. Say what they use is the best. Watch YouTube videos on different ones and whichever one you like the best in terms of features as well as getting to the good stuff, that is the one you should get.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Hopefully you can adjust the one you have tp hit those deep targets.
    Hughett likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    Robbinsdale, MN
    White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
    831 times
    Metal Detecting
    Fought the battle of better ID at depth with my M6 for a while. 6-8 inches and beyond everything sounds like iron. Have a hoard of coils for it, and none seemed to really make a huge difference in accurate ID at depth. Finally broke down and bought an Etrac lol.
    Hughett likes this.

us
    May 2019
    Northwest GA
    Garrett gta x 1250
    673 times
    Thanks. I’ll try adjusting and practicing before I move forward.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links