Advice for a newbie

jj808

Dec 13, 2014
Evans, GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to Hilton Head beach (in South Carolina) this coming week and was looking for advice on tools and such. I have never detected at a beach but I suspect it is different that detecting in other environments as far as the tools go. I don't want to spend a lot of money on tools as we don't go to the beach often so specialized tools wont get much use. So, with that being said, What advice do y'all have for me?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You need a decent sand scoop. I bring a pin pointer with me, but usually do not use it. A waterproof machine if you are in or very close to the surf. :occasion14:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Other than a machine that handles salty sand. I'd suggest modifying a PLASTIC grain scoop, drilling 3/8" holes in bottom, and reinforcing the handle.
And insure that you have a hole in the handle for a lanyard.... I could post some pics if you-all want....
That pinpointer you carry, needs to be protected from seawater and wet sand, or get a water-proof unit. Attach tether also, to that probe.

OP
OP
J

jj808

Dec 13, 2014
Evans, GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice! Made a DIY scoop and it worked just fine. As for the pointer I never had use for it so it never came out of the backpack. Made a tether for both with some paracord and an old d-rings. The hunt was uneventful but still fun. All I found was tent stake but my kids had a blast hunting for shells and digging wherever I thought I found something. Think I need to read my instruction booklet again... It was still a nice walk at the beach during a great vacation. All in all it was great.

My F4 has a waterproof coil so it handled the surf just fine as long as it was VERY shallow. Didnt go deep into the water anyway.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Lots of treasure is found where people lay their towels so I wouldn't just concentrate on the water. Watch what the people do and adjust but most of all have fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions