New to electrolysis

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Began with Bounty Hunter, Now have AT Pro and AT Max.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First time doing electrolysis and this is my set up. Is this to much power? 20190627_164927.jpg 20190627_165120.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You can use it, but you watch the process very carefully. I usually use a 9 volt or 12 volt wall charger with one Amp and still watch it fairly closely. Iron and other large relics are more forgiving that coins, so be careful with coins and jewelry for that matter. Good Luck on your project! :icon_thumleft:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 amps on a manual charger is ideal. The older manual ones are getting hard to find.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use it, but you watch the process very carefully. I usually use a 9 volt or 12 volt wall charger with one Amp and still watch it fairly closely. Iron and other large relics are more forgiving that coins, so be careful with coins and jewelry for that matter. Good Luck on your project! :icon_thumleft:

Agree especially on coins and jewelry. Some of those items only need a few seconds before the process becomes detrimental to the item. I use a charger like that on large item relics ok and use a larger tank. For small objects, look around for a cell phone charger or similar...

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice set-up. I need one of those. Thanks for sharing the info and pics.

OP
OP
S

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did not know you could use this on jewelry and coins. I am just doing old iron relics and tumbler for coins. I have a dremel tool for jewelry.

OP
OP
S

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20190714_193213.jpg 20190718_164724.jpg
A couple finished items. Working pretty good.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful if you use stainless steel for your sacrificial metal. It will give off harmful gases. I use it but I set up out of doors, works great and lasts a long time.

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to be using your setup seriously....you may want to invest in carbon fiber electrodes. Iron electrodes (sacrificial anodes) will deposit a bit of itself onto your rusted piece (cathode) while the rust is flowing in the opposite direction, going towards that anode. That iron is flowing towards your cathode (your rusted item), and coating it a bit. The problem is that this new layer of iron is very prone to rusting. If you use carbon fiber as your anode, there will be nothing to coat the item you are trying to de-rust. Also, carbon fiber will not decompose as fast as iron, and it is easier to clean to get a fresh surface for the process to work.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The voltage should be item specific, a variable DC, current regulated supply is your best option.
as an example, the current required is a function of the surface area of the item, a larger surface area will draw a larger amount of current from your supply.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread