THE TOOL SHED

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
perfect place for this question. who can tell me ? is cobalt harder than carbide ? then are drill bits just coated with these compounds or are the solid ? i'm frustrated as hell. i snapped a bolt off. been through about 25 drill bits. resharpend some. and still got nowhere. i was told i need a cobalt bit. bought a new one. didnt work any better than my old ones. so i took it back and when i got back there the guy that said thats what i need was gone already. so i got my money back and i'm still in limbo ? (*_*)

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
perfect place for this question. who can tell me ? is cobalt harder than carbide ? then are drill bits just coated with these compounds or are the solid ? i'm frustrated as hell. i snapped a bolt off. been through about 25 drill bits. resharpend some. and still got nowhere. i was told i need a cobalt bit. bought a new one. didnt work any better than my old ones. so i took it back and when i got back there the guy that said thats what i need was gone already. so i got my money back and i'm still in limbo ? (*_*)

I have had luck using diamond bits and a dremel with plenty of water so as not to ruin the bit. Cut a flat into it and use a flathead (sometimes with a pipe wrench or vise grips on it)to try and get it out. Sometimes all you need is an off set angled divot and a finish nail punch or center punch(something with a small sharp tip) then grab a hammer and hammer it to unscrew it out.

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
no ! this wont work its more complicated. and i'm far more pissed off now !

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no ! this wont work its more complicated. and i'm far more pissed off now !

show me some pics or something, I work on all sorts of crazy specialty equipment and have a bad habit of breaking bolts..... Chances are I can come up with a solution.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have a hardened bolt there.
Carbide isn't a coating on a drill. It is solid.
If possible, you could try heating it up to take some of the temper away.
Otherwise maybe ask a local machine shop what to use?

YooperDaddy80

Greenie
Oct 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the drill in reverse? LoL.

Seriously though is it?

As said above, left hand drill bits are the way to go, ive never had any luck using easyouts they always snap off then youre F'd.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread