Root Slayer Nomad or Root Assassin

tag1260

Greenie
Sep 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Faced with a $40 budget I am looking for a shovel/spade. I see two that fit the bill but which would you recommend? The Root Slayer Nomad or the Root Assassin? Have I missed anything IN THAT PRICE RANGE?

Sorry but I know about the Lesche and such in the $70-$100 price range but they aren't in the cards for me at this time and I need to find something now.

Thanks

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'd just try Lowes or some hardware store. Black Friday might help with the price also.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you wanting, hand-held or shovel type? I'm not familiar with the names you posted.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used a 1942 ww-2 entrenching tool for over 30 years and am still happy with it.
you can get one at army surplus .. stay away from Chinese look a likes, they are junk.
9k=
images

DetecTom

Nov 18, 2019
Long Island,NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600|Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used a 1942 ww-2 entrenching tool for over 30 years and am still happy with it.
you can get one at army surplus .. stay away from Chinese look a likes, they are junk.

That’s a great idea! That’s the perfect shovel that’s portable and easily found.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had the Radius Root Slayer Nomad for several months now and I really like the ruggedness and light weight attributes. Plus it digs into the ground pretty easily. About the only item I'm not keen on is the tapered shape of the shovel head. I know it makes digging into the ground easier but the ground plugs come out as an upside down pyramid shape. That means if your target is down deep then shoveling out the ground in a few/several passes results in a messier plug than say the Lesche Ground Shark D-handle could accomplish. Perhaps I'm just being picky but I like how the Ground Shark creates a nice clean cut ground plug. But don't let that deter you. I still use both and just giving you something to think about.

OP
OP
T

tag1260

Greenie
Sep 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ended up getting the Root Slayer Mini. Used it yesterday and all I can say is that I don't ever want to be without one.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 32" Root Assassin is perfect. Strong and very light.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ended up getting the Root Slayer Mini. Used it yesterday and all I can say is that I don't ever want to be without one.

This is my favorite shovel. At first didn’t like the round circle handle but it grew on me and I like it now. Easy way to carry it. It’s short but but g enough. I have the nomad too which is same shovel but long handle with tapered end. I only use it in fields. Mini is modestly priced too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread