Zippo Hand Warmers-anyone use these?

NapervilleDan

Dec 29, 2019
Naperville, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago my ex father-in-law showed me a “kidney warmer” belt that he had. We went ice fishing one day on the Mississippi River and he let me where them. He had a belt that went around your belly and it held 2 warmers against your kidneys.

I remember having them on the lowest flame setting I could get and I was still too hot. ��

I went out today for a couple hours and now I’m thinking of buying one. My feet and hands were purdy cold when I finally quit.

https://www.zippo.com/products/12hour-black-hand-warmer

Dan

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I found one of the old ones last year digging south of me with a buddy. It was the kind with a wik that you lit and waited till the body of it warmed up. :icon_thumright:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought one for my son for his scouting campouts in winter. Stupid thing would never stay lit. As soon as you closed the lid, the flame died. Never even got warm. Tried several different brands of fuel and none worked. I'd say dont waste your money.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Used them as a kid. No adjustment on heat. And burn skin when they escape from their bag......

Not sure what your "going out" meant. Fishing? Or detecting?
The air activated chemical warmers are popular today.
For ice fishing , sitting on a wooden box with a Coleman lantern in it was what kept me in the game.

Without a good hat , and good boots ,you'll be warm where the handwarmer/or other warmer is and still cold hands or feet.
A parka with a hood over your warm hat helps.
Keeping your feet dry and not tight in your boots is next.

charley2hats

Nov 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a sporting store where hunters go and get the new ones comes in a package when you open it actavets the chemical to warm your feet and hands. Simply put in shoes or boots and each glove work's wonders and last's a long time.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the heat doesn't burn you, when it tips, the fuel will leak out, and give you a nice chemical burn. I have used these heat packets, or similar brands, and they work well, as charley2hats, and releventchair say. No muss, no fuss.

hot hands.jpg

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have 2 and both work fine for the wife and I. Takes a while to warm up but smolders for hours.

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP DÄ“us, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just going through my junk drawer and found two of the Zippos and another similar model. Being an outdoor guy, they seem to be a good gift idea from friends and relatives.

They always seem to work well when testing them at home, but I have never been able to keep one lit while ice fishing. That's why they're in the junk drawer...
I buy a bulk quantity of the disposable chemical hand warmers and toe warmers every winter. They are convenient and always work for the entire day (and usually longer).

Good hunting,
Bob

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used them as a kid delivering newspapers a 4 AM in the mornings. They were a bugger to light. If you overfilled them they would leak lighter fluid on your leg and the fluid would give you a chemical burn. After using one you always smelled like a can of lighter fluid. And sometimes the cataylist heater part would fall off and the darn thing would go out. And just when it really got cold they seemed to know and just crapped out!!

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the heat doesn't burn you, when it tips, the fuel will leak out, and give you a nice chemical burn. I have used these heat packets, or similar brands, and they work well, as charley2hats, and releventchair say. No muss, no fuss.

View attachment 1786947

I have ski gloves with pockets on the back of the hand for these kind of warmers. Best cold weather idea ever.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago my ex father-in-law showed me a “kidney warmer” belt that he had. We went ice fishing one day on the Mississippi River and he let me where them. He had a belt that went around your belly and it held 2 warmers against your kidneys.

I remember having them on the lowest flame setting I could get and I was still too hot. ��

I went out today for a couple hours and now I’m thinking of buying one. My feet and hands were purdy cold when I finally quit.

https://www.zippo.com/products/12hour-black-hand-warmer

Dan
I remember them. I had them at some time maybe 50 years or so AGO !!

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always had horrible circulation in my hands and I work outside. I have taken to carrying a auto strike propane torch... well several, I have them all over the place.

A quick snap and your all warmed up. Drop it back into your pack and away ya go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions