Need help with Minelab Sovereign Detector

ruh-roh

Greenie
Mar 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of a friend owns a Sovereign XS-2 Pro and was unable to get it working, so I met up with him Sunday. After getting the battery pack properly seated so the machine would at least turn on, I was unable to get it to sound off on metal waved near the coil. The controls -- as far as I was able to determine -- appear to work OK, but nothing seems to register through the coil. The pin configuration on the Sovereign is different than my Minelab coils, so testing another coil wasn't an option for us.

The owner is elderly, so I don't expect he's going to want to get out a lot, but he does have this machine and I'd like to at least get him functional. The machine is long since out of warranty and I was hoping people might have some suggestions for things I could try to get him back on the road. Thanks in advance! Doug

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st thing to check is the coil, coil could easily be bad. You need to find a different Sovereign coil to test with. The only compatible coils are Sovereigns and excalibur but excal coils are hard wired so no connectors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ruh-roh

Greenie
Mar 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st thing to check is the coil, coil could easily be bad. You need to find a different Sovereign coil to test with. The only compatible coils are Sovereigns and excalibur but excal coils are hard wired so no connectors.

Thanks for the tip. I was afraid that I'd need to find another coil...dang.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip. I was afraid that I'd need to find another coil...dang.

Not saying it is coil but when zi worked in Minelab repair center that was always our first test, does problem follow coil or detector. Need to find someone who has a Sovereign, test their coil on detector and your coil on their detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread