Necessary equipment?

Hunting_Dad

Mar 25, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
I have been a lurking member here for ten years (found the site while researching Native American artis) and I am finally getting around to pulling the trigger on my first "real" metal detector. This site has been a great resource for me and with a little poking around, I have found answers to all of my questions..... except one.
How useful is the manufactures carry bag? Do you guys use your bags or do they just take up room in the garage while your MD rides on the passenger seat? Is it worth the extra $50 if I am already stretching a bit financially on the cost of the detector? Should I save the money and put it toward a good pinpointer or take advantage of the vendors bundled package?
Thanks for your input.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The carry bag, I saw it last year when I moved.
The detectors just ride shotgun on the truck seat. I sometimes cover the screens with a towel or stocking cap to keep off unwanted blemishes while they ride in the truck seat. Put the money towards a Garret orange pinpointed.
RJGMC

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I have no use for the carry bag. It's in a box somewhere, never used. It may be useful for someone who leaves their detector in a dusty or buggy environment.

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bag use is a matter of preference. I never use one and my wife always uses hers. Besides, most detector bags don't offer any real protection than keeping the dust off them. I would recommend buying a pin-pointer or good digger/scoop with the money.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't own one.

Though I do have a sun-cover in the back of the SUV so it isn't in direct sunlight for long periods - like when I am at work and the detector is in the SUV out in the sun. LCD's don't like extreme heat.

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use carry bags for my machines,Helps keep them from getting banged around and scratched up.I found mine at a second hand store years ago.They were not made for a detector,but work better than the ones offered by mfgs. and have lots of padding.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use carry bags for my detectors to protect the machine, and keep the headphones, instruction manuals and batteries in a separate container) all together. All I have to do is pick up the bag and know I've got it all together. It is a matter of personal preference.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've always used a good padded carry bag. Sometimes detectors take a beating, it's best to give them a nice safe home.

Edit: I purchased my Fisher 1260X in Spring of 1983. Yeah, it's older (37), not as tight and pretty as it was when I purchased it, but it still works quite capably. I carry in a good padded bag, and that's probably one of the reasons it still works very capably. In my brain, you take care of the tools of your trade and they'll last a long long time - kinda like 37 years :)

Last edited:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the bag when I fly, otherwise it sits in the garage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread