greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
A metal detector will read to 6" usually with no problem.
They cost several hundred dollars.
If I only knew there was a target within 6" I could dig a 1 foot square plug and find it.
A pinpointer pinpoints. That means it gets closer than 6".

Grey

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Inexpensive Hand Held Pinpointer

I recently put together a presentation on pinpointers for my local metal detecting club. One of the items I had found was a “Hand Held Metal Detector” offered by Harbor Freight in one of their Spring Sale fliers. It is their item # 97245.

From the flier, it looked like most of the pinpointers on the market. What was really enticing was the price @ $15.96 + S&H. So I ordered two. They were on back order. It took about 2 months to get them. I recently checked with them and they have ~ 40 in stock. Right now, this item can not be found in their local stores, you can only purchase it by phone (800-423-2567) or from their web site Harbor Freight Tools ? Quality Tools at Discount Prices Since 1977

These are made by CEN-TECH. They are similar in construction to early Whites pinpointers. It includes a battery (9V) and carrying case. There are also instructions and a parts list but the replacement items were not offered for sale when I checked. It does have a 90 warranty so keep those receipts.

Specifications:
Has a lightweight, compact design, 160 G / 5.6 OZ
Its overall size is 10 9/16” long X 2 7/8” wide X 1” thick.
The wand is waterproof and is 145 mm / 5.7” long.
The wand sensor from the tip is ~ 75 mm / 3” long.
The wand sensor detects in all directions.
Has a LED spotlight that comes on when you press the “ON” button.
Has an outside sensitivity adjustment knob. On a coin sized object, the maximum detection distance I got was ~ 1 – 1 ½” (depending on the sensitivity adjustment).
Has an audible sound when an object is detected but does not have a vibrate feature.

I've used mine on the last several weekends and it worked as well as my Whites Bullseye pinpointer.

I've seen several posted on EBay at inflated selling prices.
Jeff

I'm bumping this thread for anyone who may be interested in an inexpensive pinpointer.

I just called my local harbor Freight and they have 5 in stock. I'm heading out there right after work and picking one up. It's 17.99.

I priced a Bounty Hunter pinpointer Saturday morning at Bass Pro shop and they want 69.99 for it. You can get them online for 35.00.

For 18 bucks I'm trying this one out. The worst case scenario is I don't like it but I won't be out any real money.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread