Inexpensive Hand Held Pinpointer

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
Inexpensive Hand Held Pinpointer

I recently put together a presentation on pinpointers for my local metal detecting club. One of the items I had found was a “Hand Held Metal Detector” offered by Harbor Freight in one of their Spring Sale fliers. It is their item # 97245.

From the flier, it looked like most of the pinpointers on the market. What was really enticing was the price @ $15.96 + S&H. So I ordered two. They were on back order. It took about 2 months to get them. I recently checked with them and they have ~ 40 in stock. Right now, this item can not be found in their local stores, you can only purchase it by phone (800-423-2567) or from their web site http://www.harborfreight.com/

These are made by CEN-TECH. They are similar in construction to early Whites pinpointers. It includes a battery (9V) and carrying case. There are also instructions and a parts list but the replacement items were not offered for sale when I checked. It does have a 90 warranty so keep those receipts.

Specifications:
Has a lightweight, compact design, 160 G / 5.6 OZ
Its overall size is 10 9/16” long X 2 7/8” wide X 1” thick.
The wand is waterproof and is 145 mm / 5.7” long.
The wand sensor from the tip is ~ 75 mm / 3” long.
The wand sensor detects in all directions.
Has a LED spotlight that comes on when you press the “ON” button.
Has an outside sensitivity adjustment knob. On a coin sized object, the maximum detection distance I got was ~ 1 – 1 ½” (depending on the sensitivity adjustment).
Has an audible sound when an object is detected but does not have a vibrate feature.

I've used mine on the last several weekends and it worked as well as my Whites Bullseye pinpointer.

I've seen several posted on EBay at inflated selling prices.
Jeff

Attachments

• DSCN0909.JPG
    DSCN0909.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 8,753

Ltr113

Mar 3, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, White's Prizm IV, Bounty Hunter Scout
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally got mine once the backorder was done.
I really love it. I don't go out without it. The price was right and it works great!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
interesting.....I would be happy to have something that tells me if the target is in the plug or still in the hole without spending a fortune. lol

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Just ordered 2 @ $14.99 ea. !

Hope I don't have to wait months to get them.

MontanaDave

Mar 28, 2008
Thank you for posting this. I was ready to buy one of the more expensive ones when I read it.
Ordered two at that price from Harbor freight.
Thanks again,
Montana Dave

Ltr113

Mar 3, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, White's Prizm IV, Bounty Hunter Scout
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems to pinpoint from contact up to about 2". It really does the job on digs where I was abandoning the hole before.

urnotalone1970

May 8, 2008
chicago, il
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
was just talking with my sweetie about how i was savin all my clad this summer to purchase one of these hand held lil dingers. thanks 4 the heads up i'm placing an order for the one you posted the link on. till i have abit more $ saved up i think that lil guy will save my knees and arms from squating, digging, standing again, swiping, squating, digging etc... u get the picture lol HH :icon_sunny:tlc

KSdiver

Sep 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab, Nokta Makro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice - thanks for the info.
These pinpointers remind me of the "Sherlock" brand - I have used a few of them in the past.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
KSdiver- if you used a few in the past, what did you think of them?

btw- just got mail from HF and they are backordered. :(

outlaw319

Aug 26, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Ace 250
yep got the paper in the mail telling me it's on back order again :(, wonder how long that this will be?

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Jeff In North Georgia said:
Got a new Harbor Freight sale flier today by Email. This metal detector / pinpointer's price has been reduced from $15.96 to $14.99 + S&H. I did not call to see if they had stock as most of the replies to my original post say that they are still on backorder.

Jeff

Swinging down to Harbor Freight tomorrow. If they've got'em I'm getting one. Thanks for the tip.
Jack

BarryFreed

Greenie
May 17, 2008
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
I ordered one on May 21st and today they tell me they are back ordered until at least July 25th so don't hold your breath!

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Thanks for the review! I had been wondering about the depth of that pinpointer. Too bad they are so backordered on it.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, SC Catfish,
Last week I got a card from them "do you still want it".
Ordered mine May 6 and they said July 25.
Bummer.
Maybe the factory in China was in the floods they had last month.
For that price probably not in the floods in Missouri and thereabouts.
Greydigger

BHTrackerIV

Jun 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
i ordered mine last week and is supposed to come today through friday
how is your still on back order but mine will be here sooner???

???

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
I ordered mine from HF 5/18/08 and have yet to receive it. I too was told they were on backorder until 7/25. However, I read in another forum that was also talking about these same pinpointers how some people went by their local HF and they had them in stock. Just for fun I called my local the same day (7/3) and they had 3 in store, I was at work when I called so I couldn't go right away, but 4 hours later that day I owned 2 out of the 3 they had in store. HF said they had them in store for quite a while. I disagreed but the bottom line was they had them now and that's all that mattered. I got 2 in case 1 broke I would still have on to use while looking for another. I'm going to cancel my order today, obviously. Just keep checking with your local store and when they get them in, jump on it. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread