NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
these pics show what I use alot in my hunts, I no longer use my custom made knife, so it's not in the picture, mainly 'cause I can't get on my knees anymore :'(. First and foremost is my shovel, it is called a 4 inch trencher that I have cut the handle down to a managable length. Then I found an old digger handle in the trash and took the "D" off of it and installed it on mine. Next is my improvised probe, Garage sale item ( 50 cents ) super heavy duty screwdriver, I ground it to rounded shape and polished it, I only use it to break soil loose after making plug. Next are what I use to cut roots ( up to 1 inch in dia. ) By-pass pruning shears, make sure the tangs are metal and go all the way into plastic or rubber grips. Now for my pouch (apron) I bought at a garage sale ( $3.00) a carpenter's belt with pouches attached, the belt was not comfortable for me, so I removed it and put automotive seat belt with auto type buckles on it, and attached pouch with rivets through the seatbelt webbing. I have been saving seatbelt webbing and buckles for years. ( I was an autobody repairman for 42 years ) I figured I'd find a use for all these belts :icon_sunny:. And the last thing in my kit, are my gloves, I used to use the brown jersey gloves but was rather quickly wearing the finger tips out, so I bought some heavy duty 'String' gloves at the dollar store, and have yet to wear out a pair. Hope I gave all of you some ideas.......Larry

Attachments

• note by-pass root cutters.jpg
    note by-pass root cutters.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 763
  • trencher, apron, root cutter & gloves.jpg
    trencher, apron, root cutter & gloves.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 754

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread