Othello, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Pro PI, Whites M6
Brett said:
rmptr said:
OK, what's considered better?

1/2" or 5/8" holes ?

Thanx!

If you make them too big, my experience in DRY SAND has been, you better get it in one scoop or the sand comes out too quickly and covers up the hole again. In WET SAND however, larger is better to get the sand out of the scoop quicker when using water to act as a lubricant.

As for the state laws on scoop hole perforations, something tells me someone's pulling your leg ;-) Even if it was true, it doesn't make any sense to limit how SMALL the hole should be... kids digging with sand buckets are in clear violation!

Please read my quote again. The holes can not be LESS than 1/2 inch. The rule does not say that the holes can not be bigger. No one is pulling my leg here. Look it up for your self. :icon_pirat: . A lot of the rules regarding treasure, gold prospecting and relic hunting in this state don't make any sense but one will pay the price if one gets caught violating them. There is no rule for sand buckets so the kids don't have to worry about going to jail. No rule, no violation. These rules were written to try to protect the historical and Indian relics that this state is known for. The rules were not written to protect the individual treasure hunter.

WAC 352-32-235. Metal detecting in Washington State. Paragraph C.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
I was just trying to be funny... I know it said less than. So digging on the beach with a sand bucket, is a form of a sand scoop, and if it doesn't have any holes then it doesn't have any holes greater than 1/2"...

Poor kids with those mean cops writing them citations... there goes all their lunch money.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Yah, it's always good when you go to the beach and the kids find the start of a large sand castle dug out on the beach.... and they can jump in and start improving on someone else's work !

Pretty tough laws up there in WA.

I was thinking Kalifornia was the only crazy law place.
Silly me !

Best

Shadowmanflash

Jul 4, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150 & 250
I made a scoop about two years ago out of the metal feed scoop. it holds up and lasts longer than the plastic, then I put a rubber grip on the handle, like from a pair of crutches. I drilled the bottom round part with 3/8 drill bit, but I didn't drill the flat bottom part, seems to be better this way, for me anyway. Ken

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread