72-2116.jpg

JUST NEED A DRILL & 3/8" DRILL BIT FOR THE HOLES
ebay seller <horselovers> $3.00

You can also accuire a feed scoop from your local feed store
f1_1_b.jpg

JUST NEED A DRILL & 3/8" DRILL BIT FOR THE HOLES

Custom Built Scoop
GrainScoop.jpg

18ga. metal from your local AC dealer whilch can be bent to the shape as in this photo
1/8" thick X 3/4" wide piece of flat stock for front support
1- piece of closet rod dowel
1- piece of hardwood tobe used as the back support

you will need a drill & a 3/8" drill bit to make the holes too allow the sand
to flow out of the scoop

Other alternitives to a cheap scoop, if you on a tight budget are:

plasticgallon.jpg
gascan.jpg
1gallonmetalcan.jpg

just gotta do some minor alterations & drill some holes

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a bleech jug or a windscreen washer fluid bottle, turned upside down, bottom cut off and a replaceable wire screen near the bottom.

Keep the lid off so it can drain, and keep a variance of screens on hand to change the size of material screened.

Basset

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2008
Elizabethtown KY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
I made a sand scoop from example one and it works great in tot lot sand boxes and volley ball courts.
Basset

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT
I made a couple for a club hunt last year. This one is a feed scoop and the other one I used a old plastic flashlight and basically did it the same way. I can not find the flashlight one, but I think it looks cooler 8)

Attachments

• HPIM2001.JPG
    HPIM2001.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 4,224
  • HPIM2002.JPG
    HPIM2002.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 2,869
  • HPIM2004.JPG
    HPIM2004.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 2,990

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
My dad and brother and I made our own sandscoops from a feed scoop like the first blue one pictured above.

Some tips:

I'm pretty sure I ended up with 1/2" holes as well, but I had to work my way up so as not to tear into the plastic and cause ragged holes. First I started with a paper pattern, and transferred the pattern to the scoop with an awl. Then I used a sharpie marker to fill in the dimples so I could SEE them. Then I started drilling out all of the holes with a 1/8" drill bit, and moved up to 1/4" and 3/8" and then finally 1/2". I ended up countersinking the holes as well.

You might not want to drill holes under the handle so you don't wear your knuckles away :)

I added a plastic piece connecting the end of the handle to the bottom of the scoop with nylon screws and nuts to help stiffen the handle. Then I superglued the double nutted nuts in place.

For an added hands-free fun super bonus, make your own retractable cord reel for the scoop. Buy a small tape measure, and take it appart. Careful not to let the spring mechanism explode. Attach a nylon cord (I used kevlar that I just happened to have) to the tang on the reel, and wind it up. Put something plastic on the other end (I used a plastic film canister lid). Wind it up with good tension... make sure it will lift your scoop. Then tie the film canister end around the stiffener piece and you are ready to rock and roll. The benefit is everything is plastic and you can scan it with your metal detector if you want to (wave it over the coil).

Another thing to consider, too many holes on the large bottom surface is not necessarily a good thing in dry sand. If you have too many holes and need to dig a couple scoops deep, you may have trouble because the sand just goes right through the large bottom face of holes (instantly!). Mine is just about on the too many side... but then again I wasn't finding that many targets that were deep... and if I was I would rather have a large long handled stainless scoop.

FWIW, I tried to drill holes in a metal feed scoop exactly as pictured in the first post, and the holes ended up being way too jagged. You have to punch the holes while the metal is flat, and then build the scoop if you are doing metal.

BTW: I got my first gold ring in the water with this scoop! Second day out using it too :)

HH!

scoop1.jpg

scoop2.jpg

scoop3.jpg

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that first scoop showed you can buy em at Walmart in the pet food section for $4 ,I bought one brought it home drilled the holes myself,works so good when I go to the beach or sand dunes the ol lady an girls fight over who gets to use it lol.

Attachments

• FeedScoop.jpg
    FeedScoop.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 7,771

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are going to drill the holes in a plastic scoop, try to use caution.
The leading edge of most drills going through material less thick than the size of the hole
will act as a screw and pull the scoop up at you and spin it very fast.
This can be as minor of a problem as to make your eyebrows lift or it can maybe take off a part of your body you may have liked to remain there.

I just measured a dime with a micrometer and it is over .7 inches.
I used 5/8 holes in my scoops as they are .625 and smaller than a dime.

Good thinking on the back end holes being smaller.
May get some stud diamond earings to go with the ring.

Here is something I came up with and thought I would make money on but gosh, anyone could do it.
PVC pipe and a plastic drain cover.

Drain cover is strong and can take some kicking.

Wet sand is the worst.
Dry sand flows, under water silt does too.
Gotta get a lot of shaking with the wet sand or time your hunts to the tidal cycles.

Grey

Sep 4, 2009
I laugh at you guys!!!! I today am having my two heavy duty stainless steel scoops welded to repair the stress cracks.
You all need to find a better stop to detect. I never buy anything cheap when it comes to scoops or batteries. I buy whatever is strong and lasts long. My biggest kick now is ergonomics (did i spell it right) I find so much I need to limit my movements so I dont hurt my self.
When you come to california email me I will take you out and hurt you from digging. But it does depend on the waves, thats why Im up so late tonight Im praying looking wishing for waves so I can plan my next payday Julie

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
justmeanddannylee said:
I laugh at you guys!!!! I today am having my two heavy duty stainless steel scoops welded to repair the stress cracks.
You all need to find a better stop to detect. I never buy anything cheap when it comes to scoops or batteries. I buy whatever is strong and lasts long. My biggest kick now is ergonomics (did i spell it right) I find so much I need to limit my movements so I dont hurt my self.
When you come to california email me I will take you out and hurt you from digging. But it does depend on the waves, thats why Im up so late tonight Im praying looking wishing for waves so I can plan my next payday Julie

maybe some folks can't afford the funds for a nice heavy duty scoop ,then there are some that like to build things .

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
justmeanddannylee said:

I don't think laughng at us is going to help you make friends, muwhahaha.

But you are correct that these plastic scoops can't tak much abuse, but they weigh practically nothIng at all which is why they kick ass. I bet you'd be wore out carrying your big SS scoop before we would carrying our homemade scoops, if we stuck to our respective hunting grounds. I have one of those scoops too now, and they are really only meant for the water.

The plastic scoops can be used in the water, and I used mine plenty in FL. I even nabbed my first gold ring there in the water, on quite possibly the longest hunting day I've ever been on. After refueling with coffee and a sandwhich at 2am, I got the ring after 30 minutes in the freezing water. We wrapped it up at 4am after 20 hours of hunting, slept for 5 hours and did it again.

Be careful what you wish for, waves also create undertow. What I mean to say is, be specific! ;-) Happy hunting!

dick99344

Apr 30, 2009
Othello, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Pro PI, Whites M6
rmptr said:
OK, what's considered better?

1/2" or 5/8" holes ?

Thanx !

Some states have specific rules on sizes for sand scoops.

(c) Limit digging implements to ice picks, screwdrivers and probes not to exceed two inches in width and sand scoops not to exceed six inches in width and eight inches in length, containing perforations no less than one-half inch in width, to be used only on sand surfaces. Any holes dug shall be limited to six inches maximum depth and shall be immediately refilled and the surface restored to its earlier condition.

Paragraph (C) of the Washington State code for metal detecting in State parks. It has been my experience here that most city ordinances, if they have one, reference these rules as well.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
rmptr said:
OK, what's considered better?

1/2" or 5/8" holes ?

Thanx!

If you make them too big, my experience in DRY SAND has been, you better get it in one scoop or the sand comes out too quickly and covers up the hole again. In WET SAND however, larger is better to get the sand out of the scoop quicker when using water to act as a lubricant.

As for the state laws on scoop hole perforations, something tells me someone's pulling your leg ;-) Even if it was true, it doesn't make any sense to limit how SMALL the hole should be... kids digging with sand buckets are in clear violation!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions